Invoke-command in PowerShell is not working with Hyper-V to run a script in VMs

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Bruno Bernardi
      Participant
      Member Points: 364

Hello.

I am using a Hyper-V server on a Windows 10 PC.

This server as several VMs with following operating systems:

– Windows 10 32 and 64 bit

– Windows 7 32 and 64 bit

– Windows 8.1 32 and 64 bit

My objective is to automate the antivirus update. I manage to do this with Invoke-Command on Windows 10 VMs, but not in Windows 7.

I have the following error :

PS C:\Windows\system32> Invoke-Command -VMName "RDITS_win7_32_en" -Script {start "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\mcupdate.exe"} -Credential (Get-Credential "EUR\SESA105951")

Invoke-Command : L’ordinateur virtuel RDITS_win7_32_en ne présente pas l’état en cours d’exécution. Au caractère Ligne:1 : 1 + Invoke-Command -VMName "RDITS_win7_32_en" -Script {start "C:\Program ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument : (:) [Invoke-Command], ArgumentException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidVMState,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeCommandCommand

The Powershell version on Windows 7 VM is 5.1. Could you tell me how execute a remote command on Windows 7 VM ?

Thanks a lot and Best Regards.

Leos Marek
      Member Points: 23,163
      Author of Year 2020Author of the Year 2021

Hello,

I would use Invoke-command with parameter -ComputerName “hostname” instead of -VMName. That should work, if you have Powershell remoting enabled.

Cheers

Bruno Bernardi
      Participant
      Member Points: 364

Hello Leos.

Thank you for your help.

I try to activate Powershell Remoting before to use Invoke-Commad with -ComputerName parameter, but it’s still not working.

I have this error :

PS C:\Windows\system32> Enable-PSRemoting -SkipNetworkProfileCheck -Force

PS C:\Windows\system32> Enable-PSRemoting -Force

PS C:\Windows\system32> $cred

UserName                           Password
      --------                           --------
      EUR\SESA105951 System.Security.SecureString

PS C:\Windows\system32> Invoke-Command -ComputerName "RDITS_win7_32_en" -Script {start "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\mcupdate.exe"} -Credential $cred
      [RDITS_win7_32_en] La connexion au serveur distant RDITS_win7_32_en a échoué avec le message d’erreur suivant: Le client WinRM ne peut pas traiter la demande car le nom du serveur ne peut pas être résolu. Pour 
      plus d'informations, voir la rubrique d'aide about_Remote_Troubleshooting.
          + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (RDITS_win7_32_en:String) [], PSRemotingTransportException
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ComputerNotFound,PSSessionStateBroken

PS C:\Windows\system32>

When I want to activate Powershell Remoting on “RDITS__win7_32_en” virtual Machine i have this error :

PS C:\Windows\system32> Enable-PSRemoting -SkipNetworkProfileCheck -Force
      WinRM is already set up to receive requests on this computer.
      WinRM is already set up for remote management on this computer.
      PS C:\Windows\system32> Enable-PSRemoting -Force
      WinRM is already set up to receive requests on this computer.
      Set-WSManQuickConfig : <f:WSManFault xmlns:f="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsmanfault" Code="2150859113"
      Machine="localhost"><f:Message><f:ProviderFault provider="Config provider"
      path="%systemroot%\system32\WsmSvc.dll"><f:WSManFault xmlns:f="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsmanfault"
      Code="2150859113" Machine="RDITS7EN32VM.eur.gad.schneider-electric.com"><f:Message>WinRM firewall exception will not
      work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to
      either Domain or Private and try again. </f:Message></f:WSManFault></f:ProviderFault></f:Message></f:WSManFault>
      At line:116 char:17
      +                 Set-WSManQuickConfig -force
      +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Set-WSManQuickConfig], InvalidOperationException
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WsManError,Microsoft.WSMan.Management.SetWSManQuickConfigCommand

I have to ask Firewall authorisations to the company administrator. Do you know what they are ?

Regards.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Member Points: 32,173
      Author of the year 2018

It seems the first issue was caused because the remote machine couldn’t be reached. Maybe the computer was offline or it is a firewall problem.

On the second machine, the first command worked just fine. Only when you omitted -SkipNetworkProfileCheck the second command failed. For more information, please read this article.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2022

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account