A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '$null'

This topic is resolved

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Leonard Hopkins
      Participant
      Member Points: 653

An associate was trying to deploy software from SCCM but claims it always failed so he asked me if  I could do it with Powershell. Since this is to be done an on a remote machine, I first connect via PSDrive and get Z as the new drive. After that I copy the source files to the remote machine using Z:\ and this all works fine.

Next I try to run the installation and it all works except it claims my Argument list is null and fails. I can’t seem to find the proper syntax to pass all of the arguments to the installation line.

A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument ‘$null’.
      + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Start-Process], ParameterBindingException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartProcessCommand

Leos Marek
      Member Points: 8,544

Hello,

its because of how Invoke-Command works. You can do it like this:

Use help for full details on Invoke-command.

Cheers

Leonard Hopkins
        Participant

Thanks for taking the time to help. However, after applying your recommendation, I still get the same error.

Leos Marek

Eh, sorry, I messed it up. You are only passing text to the command, so you do not need to do the param/args thing…. The issue is somewhere else, its how you defined the $Setup variable there. Try this.

This way the command should get executed and all information should be stored in the Setup variable.

Leonard Hopkins
          Participant

Thanks again, but this is exactly what I started with before I asked for help here.

Leos Marek

I dont understand your issue then ūüôā see attached picture…. you get the error message due to your syntax. If you use the command correctly there is no error and the cmd.exe is running….

Leos Marek

Try it like this

Invoke-Command -Computername localhost -ScriptBlock {$setup = Start-process -FilePath ‘C:\temp\Greenshot-INSTALLER-1.2.10.6-RELEASE.exe’ ` -argumentlist ‘/verysilent /norestart /suppressmsgboxes’ -Wait -PassThru;$setup.exitcode}

works like a charm for me.

Leonard Hopkins
          Participant

Yes the “$Setup” variable needed to be changed for the whole process and I took out the “Z” drive specification and just user \ (root). I didn’t get an Exitcode of 0 (zero) though. I did find the log file specified in the parameters shown below. I don’t know what “5” means but at least it did run.

[InstallShield Silent]
          Version=v7.00
          File=Log File
          [ResponseResult]
          ResultCode=-5

By the way, my installation is running on a remote computer. It looks like you tested yours locally. We need this to run remotely and be successful. Thanks for the help so far.

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Leos Marek

Since you defined the $Setup variable inside the Invoke-command scriptblock, it only exists on the remote session. You have to “ask” for it in the same scriptblock, otherwise the variable is lost once the Invoke-command completes. Like this:

It is a best practice to create the script block somewhere before the command in your script, for better visibility

Leos Marek

And yes, I was testing on a single VM, but since I have used Invoke-Command, its the same like if you would do it on a remote machine. Powershell will use the remoting feature.

Leonard Hopkins
          Participant

I am marking this as resolved thanks to your help, even though the software is getting a failure code on installation. That is beyond the scope of this question. Thanks.

Leos Marek

Dont worry about the subject change, the topic evolved ūüôā I am happy to help.

Have a good day.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2020

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account