This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Swapnil Kambli 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant
    Member Points: 33,300
    4sysops member of the year 2018

Hello all,

many sysadmin have a favorite list of must-have tools that you could not live without.
    I wonder what are your favorite tools ?

The basic idea about this post is make a list of helpful tool that can be shared in the community.

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant

And here a short list of my favorites tools :

• Notepad++
    • RSAT (Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10)
    • Tools from the Sysinternals Suite, AccessChk, Autoruns, Process Explorer, Process Monitor and others.
    • PingInfoView (Nirsoft), a small utility that allows you to easily ping multiple host names and IP addresses, and watch the result in one table
      TreeSize
    • USB Disk Ejector, allows you to quickly remove USB (and firewire) drives in Windows.
      DeviceTool, a Device Manager for administrators. DeviceTool can enable and disable devices remotely – and run on Windows 10.
    • Rufus, a small portable tool to create bootable USB Flash drives, includes an option to download the Windows.
    • Microsoft WSUS Client Diagnostic Tool, designed to aid the WSUS administrator in troubleshooting client machines which may be failing to report back to the WSUS Server.
    • Putty
    • RVTools, windows .NET 4.6.1 application which uses the VI SDK to display information about your virtual environments. Interacting with VirtualCenter.
    • vCenter Converter, quickly converts local and remote physical machines into virtual machines without any downtime.
    • Starwind V2V Converter, makes VM and virtual disk migration between different hardware sets easier by booting the migrated VM in Windows Repair Mode.

1+

Paul Tower 
      Participant
      Member Points: 63

mRemoteNG – Free tabbed remote desktop management tool.  Allows you to save different credentials for various machines.  I just wish they had a search.

SecureCRT – paid ssh management tool – remote into switches, routers, etc.

PDQ Deploy/Inventory – paid application management software, scan machines to see what’s out there, update install or remove software on a schedule

3+

Surendra 
        Participant
        Member Points: 30

I love PDQ Inventory & PDQ Deploy, make my work easier.

1+
     Luc Fullenwarth 
    Member Points: 15,996

That really depends on the context of your work.

For example, someone working with VMware will not have the same tools as someone working with Microsoft HyperV

But basically:

• PowerShell
    • Notepad++
    •  VS Code
     Leos Marek 
    Member Points: 4,017
    • ASG Remote Desktop – best RDP tool I know – free for max 3 connections, unlimited connections + option to have connections/credentials in SQL database in paid version
    • Powershell ISE
    • ISE-Steroids – paid plugin to ISE
    • Keepass – ultimate tool for password management, amazing auto-type feature
    • Greenshot – really nice, rich, easy and free print screen tool
    • f.lux – adapts screen color temperature based on day time – eye saver
    • Ditto  – easy clipboard manager
    • Filezilla – FTP client/server
    • WinSCP – transfer files over SSH
    • PAL 2.0 – performance log analyzer
    • Regshot – capture Registry snapshot allowing to compare the Registry before and after some changes
    • TreeSizePortable – disk space info
    • BlueScreenView – BSOD dump analyzer

+ tools you already mentioned like RVTools, Putty,Notepad++, RSAT

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Leos Marek.
     Luc Fullenwarth 

Yeah! Forgot KeePass!!!
    Thanks Leos!

And also forgot RDP, because sometimes you have to execute your PowerShell cmdlets directly on the server instead inside a remote PS session.
    However, because I am going from customer to customer, I prefer to stick to free products instead of having every time to change my habits for each customer. Therefore Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Manager is my choice. Otherwise Royal TS could also be a could alternative.

Thus my list is:

• PowerShell
    • Notepad++
    • VS Code
    • KeePass
    • Remote Desktop Connection Manager
       Leos Marek 

Hey Luc,

check out invoke-commandAs module for powershell, it allows to execute commands remotely under the target system account 🙂

I was using ASG Remote in free version for years until we purchased it. Even with 3RDP connection limit I love the credentials management there.

1+

Paolo Maffezzoli 
        Participant

@Leos, I didn’t know ASG Remote, I’d like to test this program. Do you have info if VNC protol support is supported ?
        BTW, in my case I use he Remote Desktop Manager for server management through the WAN , here the interesting 4SYSOPS post : FREE: Remote Desktop Manager – A powerful RDP client .

1+

Leos Marek 

List of supported protocols 🙂

What I like the most is that you can save as many credentials as you want for different domains/customers and then you can either create a connection database for each server/customer and assign those credentials. Or you can use Quick connect where you simply type hostname/IP and select credentials from the popup menu. Really powerful!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Leos Marek.
        1+

Paolo Maffezzoli 
        Participant

Thanks Leos !

Luc Fullenwarth 

@gibon

Yes I discovered the invoke-commandAs module lately.
        However, usually it’s a double-hop problem and I am too lazy to handle it with alternate credentials.
        But thanks for the reminder, I problably should use it more often than I currently do… 🙂

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 4sysops 2006 - 2019

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account