Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Leos Marek
      Member Points: 5,563

Hello folks,

I’d like to work on a script that would be able to backup/restore most of user specific settings during Windows upgrade or reinstallation, like Outlook accounts, etc. For that I would need your help.

Please comment what common application you manage for your users, what are the user specific settings and where are those settings stored (registry key, file path).

Thanks

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Member Points: 23,275
      Author of the year 2018

Most of these settings are stored in ntuser.dat in the user profile. When a user logs on, Windows loads this in into HKEY_CURRENT_USER. If you want to inspect the ntuser.dat of a specific user you can load it into you registry editor.

If you want to see where your applications store changes, you can use Process Monitor.

The problem is that is these changes can be quite complex. I somehow doubt that you can really solve this problem with a script. It might work for a while if your environment is simple, but you will always be busy adapting your script.

In theory, Windows should use these settings after an upgrade if you load the user profile, for instance, if you work with roaming user profiles. However, in my experience this process is very unreliable because the entire concept is flawed.

The best way is to minimize what users can configure and deploy everything with Group Policy.

Leos Marek

The initiative here is more less for random user coming to your door from time to time asking for PC reinstallation.

For example I was trying to search for my imap server configured in my Outlook profile in registry, but did not find anything.. Weird .)

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

You can run Process Monitor and then add an IMAP account to Outlook.

If you don’t want to work with roaming user profiles, you have to restore ntuser.dat after reinstalling Windows.

Leos Marek

Hm, have you ever tried that? Won’t there be any issue if some application will be missing in the new installation?

I guess such option would not be usable if the case was Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

This is what happening if you work with roaming user profiles. When the user logs on the first time after an upgrade, the old user profile including ntuser.dat will be downloaded. We did this many times. Sometimes it can cause problems. Then you have to delete the user profile locally and on the server and restore user files without ntuser.dat. If you didn’t automate the deployment of user settings with Group Policy, you have to manually configure the machine.

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      Member Points: 36,772
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019

In my experience, roaming profiles are difficult to use without sometimes having unexpected problems. I prefer to configure user profile and store user data to the cloud. So when you have to move user profile to a new pc, you will have only to migrate few user local data, instead data and mail will be deployed form the cloud to the new computer.

Leos Marek

Maybe I did not express myself correctly. The intention is to be able to migrate profile settings of home user/random customer coming to my door, who has no domain or GPO πŸ™‚

So I guess that would not be possible with NTUSER.DAT restore as the SID is different after reinstallation.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

Paolo, you are right. On the other hand, Windows isΒ difficult to use without sometimes having unexpected problems. πŸ˜‰

By the way, threaded replies are currently not working in the forum. I opened a ticket with the developer.

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

Leos, in this case the standard procedure is to simply upgrade Windows. All settings should be available after the installation.

If you want a clean install, then really do a clean install and allow the applications to store their settings in the registry. Guessing what settings you need to transfer and then mess with the registry using a script will most likely create an unstable system.

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

@Michael, Thanks. I supposed that something was not working on nested comments. πŸ™‚

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

@Leos, in case of a simply upgrade all existing data will have maintained after Windows 10 upgrad, unless of course if you proceed with a clean installation.
      In case you have to migrate data to a new pc there are different items to backup like Personal folders, User’s Desktop (files, folders, shortcuts), My Documents, My Pictures, My Music and My Videos, download folder and User’s desktop wall papers.

Hope it helps.

Leos Marek

Hi Paolo,

I dont like the in-place upgrade and never did like it πŸ™‚ I have seen a lot of troubles due to such procedure.

About the folders its clear. I am more thinking like a person having several mailboxes in Outlook, etc. This is quite cumbersome to transfer manually πŸ™

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

And other items to backup on enterprise computers :

Network drives connections
      Network places
      Installed printers
      Java security sites exceptions list

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

Hi Leos, in this case it could be a good idea use a specific tool , for example PC Mover by Laplink. Good tool to move all data including Outlook mailboxes. πŸ™‚

Leos Marek

Hehe noone from home users will pay extra 30-50$ to have everything exactly as it was .)

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

ok, try User Profile Wizard 3.17 by ForensIT, a free tool for personal use. I don’t think is able to migrate Outlook PST files, but it can help you to migrate the main user data.

Leos Marek

Thanks I will try that and let you know πŸ™‚

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Β© 4sysops 2006 - 2020

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account