This topic is resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Pietroforte 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     Karim Buzdar 
    • Topics: 20
    • Replies: 55
    Member Points: 4,146

Hi all,

I am setting up Nano Server in a Hyper-V VM. I want to know the system requirements, hard disk and especially RAM.

Thank you,

Karim

• This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Karim Buzdar.
     Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 136
    • Replies: 309
    Member Points: 5,960

According to this Microsoft page, the minimum RAM requirement is 512MB and for storage Microsoft wants 32GB. 32GB is quite a lot. 4sysops runs on a Linux box with 12GB and only 32% of the space is used.

However, what you really need very much depends on your application. I doubt that you can do a lot more than running a dir command every once in a while with 512MB.

Paolo Maffezzoli 
      Participant
      • Topics: 13
      • Replies: 38
      Member Points: 6,915

Interesting that also Microsoft says that it could be a problem follows the minimum requirements.

If you create a virtual machine with the minimum supported hardware parameters (1 processor core and 512 MB RAM) and then attempt to install this release on the virtual machine, Setup will fail.

Michael Pietroforte 
        Keymaster
        • Topics: 136
        • Replies: 309
        Member Points: 5,960

Because the setup procedure needs some space too. But this shows that you might run into problems with 512MB in the long run. With every feature update you have to worry that you run out of space. I guess 1GB is a more realistic minimum.

Karim Buzdar 
    • Topics: 20
    • Replies: 55
    Member Points: 4,146

Thank you both Michael and Paolo for your comments and help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forum. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending
© 4sysops 2006 - 2017

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account