This topic is resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Karim Buzdar 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     Karim Buzdar 
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 51
    Member Points: 2,839

Hi all,

I have recently set an individual users’ password to never expire in O365 with the help of PowerShell. But I was wondering if there is any way to set an individual users’ password to never expire from web interface?

I couldn’t find myself.

Thank you,

Karim

Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 136
    • Replies: 302
    Member Points: 5,661

I think this one of the first things I wanted to do when I started using Office 365 in production. I was quite surprised then that PowerShell was the only way. Even though the interface has changed quite a bit since then, it seems it is still not possible. At least I didn’t find it.

The administration options in the web interface are very limited. I think it is fair to say that PowerShell is the only real management interface for Office 365.

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

Karim Buzdar 

Michael you are right. It looks like Microsoft is pushing their users to use PowerShell in their day to day job.

1+

Michael Pietroforte 
        Keymaster

Karim, I’d say this is a gross understatement. They are not just pushing admins to PowerShell, they are forcing them because often it is the only way to get things done even if no automation is needed. Often this means that you have to spend more time to accomplish the job because instead of just clicking a checkbox, you have to google the command first. Despite PowerShell’s great success it remains to be seen if this strategy will pay off for Microsoft in the long run.

1+

Karim Buzdar 

This is true, Michael.

I don’t think there is a survival without learning PowerShell now. From 2016 to O365 and Azure, you need Powershell skills for their management.

1+

Luc Fullenwarth 
        • Topics: 3
        • Replies: 23
        Member Points: 5,591

You are right about that.

I don’t remember exactly which one, but during the Win 2016 training we have seen 2 parameters which can only be set by powershell cmdlets (one for storage and another one for hyper-v).

Michael Pietroforte 
          Keymaster

The number of settings in Microsoft products that can only be modified on the console, is growing with every new product release. You can’t even remove the provisioned Windows 10 apps without PowerShell. This alone has significantly increased the costs of Windows 10 if you count all the hours admins have tried and failed to get a clean image for OS deployment.

But to be honest, I don’t really want to complain. This is great for 4sysops because it gives us plenty of opportunities to provide solutions for all the problems admins are having to accomplish relatively simple things. I also love playing with PowerShell and it brings me lots of fun to dig out all these complicated solutions for trivial problems

Ha, and guess what? I covered Karim’s problem years ago. If Microsoft offered a checkbox in the web interface for changing the password policy in Office 365, I certainly wouldn’t have had the opportunity to write this post. So all good. At least for me. 😉

2+

Karim Buzdar 

Michael,

Good to know you had an opportunity to write this post https://4sysops.com/archives/to-set-the-password-expiration-policy-to-never-expire-in-office-365-and-exchange–you-need-powershell/

But the link you post is not working, I was interested in reading the content.

Michael Pietroforte 
          Keymaster

Weird! When I edit the post the link is correct, but in the post an additional hyphen is added. Seems to be a WordPress or bbpress bug. This is the correct link:

Karim Buzdar 

Thank you for the correct link,

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forum. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending
© 4sysops 2006 - 2017

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account