This topic is resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Karim Buzdar 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author
     Karim Buzdar 
    • Topics: 24
    • Replies: 80
    Member Points: 6,145

Hi all,

Before installing an Exchange Server 2016, I was thinking of creating a restore point in Windows Server 2016. But, I didn’t see an option.

Do I need to work with system image backup?

Thank you,

Karim

Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 138
    • Replies: 337
    Member Points: 7,244

Windows Server does not have the System Restore feature. You can install the Windows Server Backup feature and then create a backup that includes the system state. However, this is a very cumbersome way to restore a previous state if this is a test system.

I highly recommend using a professional virtualization solution that was designed for test environments. VMware Workstation is the best on Windows and on a Mac VMware Fusion would be my choice. If you don’t want to spend money, you can also use VirtualBox.

These tools allow you to easily create snapshots. If you are working with multiple systems with Active Directory, you always have to create snapshots at the same time while all systems are offline. This way, you always have a consistent state for all your machines.

Karim Buzdar 

You are right. There is no restore feature in Windows Server 2016. Since I was working with hardware and not with VMs, I restored the system from system image backup.

Thank you for your help.

Michael Pietroforte 
      Keymaster

As far as I know, there also is no system restore tab in the Control Panel of Windows Server 2012 (R2) and Windows Server 2008. I don’t know why Microsoft only allows you to create restore points on workstations. I always found this feature quite useful.

Testing on hardware is very efficient. I have done that for many years before virtualization solutions became available. I always had 6-7 machines in my office and was rolling with my chair from machine to machine all day. Give it a try with the right tool. You will loose a lot of time on hardware. And don’t use Hyper-V or ESXi. These solutions are no match to specialized tools when it comes to testing environments.

Karim Buzdar 

May be Microsoft believe that Server operating systems are deployed on VMs where people prefer to work with checkpoints.

Michael Pietroforte 
          Keymaster

Then they would have remove the feature only in recent years. Maybe system restore points are just not reliable enough for servers and you should use a professional backup solution for restoring system states.

Paolo Maffezzoli 
          Participant
          • Topics: 15
          • Replies: 48
          Member Points: 9,798

Restore point is a feature removed from Windows 2008, the only way to use native Microsoft OS commands is through Windows Server Backup as described in this article: Windows Server 2012 – How to Create System Restore Point Using Windows Server Backup feature

Hope it helps.

Karim Buzdar 

Thank you,

Karim Buzdar 

That’s also seem correct.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forum. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending
© 4sysops 2006 - 2017

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account