This topic is resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Paolo Maffezzoli 4 months ago.

• Author
     Chris 
    Participant
    Member Points: 1,300

Greetings all,

I have a home laptop that I want to RDP into from my work office. I have enabled RDP on my home laptop by going to System > Remote Desktop AND also enabling it in Windows Firewall. The thing is I live in an apartment complex that offers WiFi as one of the amenities so I don’t have home a router, in other words the system isn’t connected to a LAN, but a network that the entire complex uses. I haven’t had any success connecting to the machine from my work PC and I believe it’s due to the way Spectrum (the company who provides the WiFi at my apt complex) has the network configured. One last thing I want to try is to enable port forwarding and check if port 3389 is open on the default gateway that my home laptop is connected to. How can I do this without being able to access the router via it’s IP address? I also tried connecting my home PC to my phone’s hotspot and RDP’ing from a second machine (that’s on apartment WiFi) and still unable to connect. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Chris.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Chris.
     Luc Fullenwarth 
    Member Points: 15,996

Complicated question because many factors are involved and network devices are all different.
    However, testing the RDP port with a Windows 8 or above computer is easy:

At least, this should help you to know if the RDP flow is passing through the firewall(s) and/or is routed/forwarded…

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    Member Points: 21,663
    Author of the year 2018

Chris, I would check if your home PC has a fixed IP and if this is a public IP or a private IP. If it is a private IP, you have to convince the admin of the router to configure port forwarding. If you have a public IP that frequently changes, you can use a dynamic DNS service. Your home PC has to update the DNS settings whenever your IP changes.

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

Chris 
    Participant
    Member Points: 1,300

I’ve decided to just try out AnyDesk or TeamViewer to avoid any potential security risks.

Leos Marek 
    Member Points: 4,017

TeamViewer is definitely a wise solution to use free of charge. Still better than publishing your RDP to the internet. But some people are out of luck – for me such things are blocked from work .)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 4sysops 2006 - 2019

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account