Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris
      Participant
      • Topics: 6
      • Replies: 38
      Member Points: 1,300

Greetings all,

I have a home laptop that I want to RDP into from my work office. I have enabled RDP on my home laptop by going to System > Remote Desktop AND also enabling it in Windows Firewall. The thing is I live in an apartment complex that offers WiFi as one of the amenities so I don’t have home a router, in other words the system isn’t connected to a LAN, but a network that the entire complex uses. I haven’t had any success connecting to the machine from my work PC and I believe it’s due to the way Spectrum (the company who provides the WiFi at my apt complex) has the network configured. One last thing I want to try is to enable port forwarding and check if port 3389 is open on the default gateway that my home laptop is connected to. How can I do this without being able to access the router via it’s IP address? I also tried connecting my home PC to my phone’s hotspot and RDP’ing from a second machine (that’s on apartment WiFi) and still unable to connect. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by Chris.
      • This topic was modified 1 year ago by Chris.
      Luc Fullenwarth
      • Topics: 7
      • Replies: 161
      Member Points: 16,046

Complicated question because many factors are involved and network devices are all different.
      However, testing the RDP port with a Windows 8 or above computer is easy:

At least, this should help you to know if the RDP flow is passing through the firewall(s) and/or is routed/forwarded…

1+
      Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      • Topics: 170
      • Replies: 640
      Member Points: 25,469
      Author of the year 2018

Chris, I would check if your home PC has a fixed IP and if this is a public IP or a private IP. If it is a private IP, you have to convince the admin of the router to configure port forwarding. If you have a public IP that frequently changes, you can use a dynamic DNS service. Your home PC has to update the DNS settings whenever your IP changes.

1+
      Chris
      Participant

I’ve decided to just try out AnyDesk or TeamViewer to avoid any potential security risks.

Leos Marek
      • Topics: 16
      • Replies: 156
      Member Points: 10,834

TeamViewer is definitely a wise solution to use free of charge. Still better than publishing your RDP to the internet. But some people are out of luck – for me such things are blocked from work .)

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      • Topics: 35
      • Replies: 213
      Member Points: 43,105
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019

An advantage of AnyDesk is that it has no restrictions in the free version, also evaluate Supremo, requires no router or firewall configuration and another interesting feature is AES 256-bit encryption.

Chris
        Participant

Paolo,

I decided to run with TeamViewer instead of AnyDesk because AnyDesk doesn’t allow you to use Hyper-V on the remote PC,  at least the free version doesn’t.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Chris.
          Paolo Maffezzoli
          Participant

Ok, in this case TeamViewer solved your problem.  About AnyDesk and Hype-V could be a different issue, but I am not sure and I will test it.

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

About TeamViewer:  TeamViewer Confirms Undisclosed Breach From 2016

TeamViewer confirmed today that it has been the victim of a cyber attack which was discovered during the autumn of 2016, but was never disclosed.

1+
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2020

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account