Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Roger Hass
      Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 2
      Member Points: 114

G’day Folks,

I have this Nagging issue with viewing HDD’s in Higher OS’s on my LAN.

Downward compatibility from Win 10 or Win 8.1 to view shared HDD’s on my XP Pro SP3, VistaU and Win 7u, is not a problem.

However to view a HDD from my XP workstation on the 8.1, is a problwm which I have as yet not solved.

I need to be able to access all the HDD’s on my LAN and different OS’s, to and from them, i.e. upwards and downwards between the Microsoft Operating Systems without loosing too much security integrity.

All OS”s are protected by BitDefender either Internet Security on the lower OS’s like XP and Vista and Total Security on the higher OS’s Win 7 and up. ( I am an Agent For BD, hence able to protect XP and Vista)

If anyone has a definitive solution for me I would like to hear from you. Maybe @michael-pietroforte can help with this one ?

Regards / LeBug

• This topic was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Roger Hass.
      • This topic was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Roger Hass.
      • This topic was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Michael Pietroforte. Reason: Changed title
      Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      • Topics: 170
      • Replies: 640
      Member Points: 25,469
      Author of the year 2018

I think just by running Windows XP on your network, your security has already been compromised. Anyway, you say your problem is that you can access the XP machines from Windows 10 but not from Windows 8.1?

Roger Hass
        Participant

Thanks for the reply from Michael and Paolo,

I can access the shared Hard Disk Drives from Win 8.1 on the XP, Vista and Win 7, i.e. accessing HDD’s on lower OS’s from the higher OS like Win 8.1 is not a problem.

The problem is accessing the HDD’s setup as shares on the Win 8.1 from the lower OSD’s like XP, Vista or Win 7 is the problem. Attempting to access any HDD’s on Win 8.1 only allows access to the User\Public folder. The shared HDD’s on Win 8.1 show, however do not allow access, and this is what I need to be able to do, i.e access the HDD’s on Win 8.1 from the lower OS’s.

I trust this clears up the issue.

As to the security concerns on XP, my thought are that we should not be concerned about every thing that Microsoft sprouts about. The same concern might then apply to Vista Ultimate and soon to Win 7 Ultimate when MS stops support for it. I repeat what I said, “we should not be concerned about every thing that Microsoft sprouts about.”

My Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Windows ME, Server 2000 SP4, Windows 95 and Windows 98 still show up on my LAN when I boot them up and are protected by the BitDefender Network scanner if I suspect an intrusion of a virus which so far have eluded these OS’s.

I am reminded of the scare mongering that applied to Adobe Flash Player and Oracle Java developed by Sun MicroSystems which soon faded and are of no concern at the moment, unless more scare mongering is restarted.

When it comes to security issues and holes in Application Software or Browsers or Operating Systems, I heard that the Pope is going to Canonize Microsoft Software as they are so Holey because they have more security holes then the Flash Player and Java combined ever had, and you can quote me on that subject ☺

In the mean time, Happy Computing ☺

Regards / LeBug

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Roger Hass.
        • This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Roger Hass.
          Michael Pietroforte
          Keymaster
          • Topics: 170
          • Replies: 640
          Member Points: 25,469
          Author of the year 2018

I agree that you cannot rely on Microsoft’s official announcements when it comes to security. You will only hear what serves Microsoft best.

However, common sense tells you that still running Windows XP with network access is getting more and more dangerous every day. The point is not that Windows XP has many unfixed vulnerabilities. We can assume that the same thing also applies to the latest Windows 10 release.

However, when it comes to security the number of security holes does not really matter. The only thing that counts is who is able to exploit these vulnerabilities. The longer a known hole is unfixed, the easier it is to find exploits on the internet. As to Windows XP, I guess every 10-year old script kiddie can now hack this OS whereas you need a real hacker to get into Windows 10.

In addition, you have to rely on old technology that puts your entire network at risk. Your case demonstrates this nicely. If you need to enable SMB1 on new Windows systems, you increase the risk for all your Windows computers.

Leos Marek
          • Topics: 16
          • Replies: 156
          Member Points: 10,834

I can do nothing else than agree with Michael. I would understand a company to run Windows XP, but in cases like its built inside of PLC or you have a very specific software (like Medical) that does not support new OS.

Sharing anything from Windows XP is already againts your sentence of

without loosing too much security integrity.

thats it

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      • Topics: 35
      • Replies: 213
      Member Points: 43,105
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019

I have the same thought about Windows Xp and security concerns as mentioned by Michael.
      Anyway you say that you have an access problem, can you add more information ? It can be helpful to understand your problem know if you got an error message like Access denied or other error messages. And also from what OS computer, destination pc’s , etc.

Roger Hass
        Participant

G’day Paolo,

Any thoughts on my last post that should clear up what I need to be able to do.

Regards / LeBug

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      • Topics: 35
      • Replies: 213
      Member Points: 43,105
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019

Sounds like a protocol problem… In the past I had a network folder access issue with a Windows 10 and a mainframe. The problem was a problem in the SMB version 1 protocol not supported on Windows 10. I had to temporarily re-enable the SMBv1 protocol to solve the access problem. Check if this your case and in case this article can help you: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-smb-version-windows

1+
      Swapnil Kambli
      • Topics: 0
      • Replies: 60
      Member Points: 4,869

Hello Roger, it is SMB version compatibility issue.  Most probably you would need to enable SMB2/3 in XP machine for accessing the share from higher OS machine having a higher version of SMB protocol.  However as per the documentation enabling higher version SMB is not supported in XP, as it may impact TCP/IP stack.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2020

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account