Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Steven
      Participant
      Member Points: 1,114

Hello folks,

Goal: give permission installation permission to a given user on his machine.

I aim to give some permissions to a few specific users that I know will not go loosey goosey. It will prevent waiting time for some clients for updates on software like Java.

I have done some reading and I wanted to challenge my idea here as I can miss key points. After a few readings, I saw that you have to add the user to the local administrator group. I am trying to see if that is the only way to give users that kind of permission without opening too many doors.

Thanks,
      Steven

Leos Marek
      Member Points: 23,212
      Author of Year 2020Author of the Year 2021

Minimum permission to install a software is to be an Administrator 🙂

Unless you use any deployment solutions like SCCM where users can pick software from a catalog and install it without Admin rights, you have no other option.

You can create a separate user for them (which is what you should do anyway, normal user should never be admin) and then you can use GPO to limit that user/group rights (for example you can set Deny network logon). But you dont have many options there 🙂

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      Member Points: 66,245
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019Member of the Year 2020Member of the Year 2021

In user management, the best practice is not to give administrative permissions. As already said by Leos, if for some particular reason you need to grant users permissions to install software, then it’s best to create a local admin user, preferably with batch or powershell script. Otherwise the solution is manage software updates with a deployment tool, just check several examples at https://4sysops.com/tag/deployment/

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      Member Points: 66,245
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019Member of the Year 2020Member of the Year 2021

FYI, there was Power User till Windows 7/8 that was like an “admin” user and designed to give users specific administrator rights and permissions to install programs that do not modify operating system files or install system services. But Power User is deprecated in Windows 10 and doesn’t exist a similar solution to delegate installation rights to end users.

Steven
        Participant
        Member Points: 1,114

I was looking for that Power User when I started my research, and I realize it must be deprecated.

Thanks a lot, Paolo and Leos for the answers. I now have a better view of my option !

Leos Marek
          Member Points: 23,212
          Author of Year 2020Author of the Year 2021

Your welcome. If I remember well, Power user group was rid of any rights since Server 2008. It still existed, but had no rights 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2022

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account