This topic is resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Karim Buzdar 8 months ago.

• Author
     Karim Buzdar 
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 54
    Member Points: 4,065

Hi,

I have migrated domain controller from Server 2012 R2 to Server 2016. In my lab environment, I was using Standard edition with desktop experience for both Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016.

Can I migrate DC from Server 2012 R2 standard edition (Desktop experience) to Server 2016 Data center version (Server core)/Server 2016 Standard version (Server core)?

I explored TechNet but I couldn’t find anything and I have limited resources in lab to test this case.

Best,

Karim

Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 136
    • Replies: 309
    Member Points: 5,960

Do you mean migrate or upgrade? In Microsoft’s documentation “migrate” sometimes means a clean install of a higher Windows version on new hardware. In this case you only have to worry about licensing issues.

Or is your problem that you want to do an in-place upgrade from a server with Desktop Experience to Server Core?

Karim Buzdar 

Hi Michael,

Yes, I mean upgrade of DC from Server 2012 R2 standard edition (Desktop experience) to Server 2016 Data center version (Server core)/Server 2016 Standard version (Server core)?

Is this possible?

/Karim

Michael Pietroforte 
        Keymaster
        • Topics: 136
        • Replies: 309
        Member Points: 5,960

As far as I know it is not possible to move from Desktop Experience to Server Core in Windows Server 2016. So you have to make sure that you do this before you upgrade or during the upgrade process.

What you could try is to do this before you upgrade. I suppose if you then upgrade from Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016, you will end up with a Server Core installation.

And according to this guide, you can select Windows Server 2016 without Desktop Experience during the upgrade process to Server 2016 on a domain controller running Windows Server 2012 R2.

Don’t forget to back up your server before you begin.

Karim Buzdar 

Thank you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forum. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending
© 4sysops 2006 - 2017

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account