This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paolo Maffezzoli 2 months ago.

• Author
     Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    Member Points: 21,663
    Author of the year 2018

I am fighting again with Microsoft’s bugware. For some reason OneDrive for Business on my Mac stopped syncing. I only noticed this after several weeks. It seems one of those updates that adds no real new features and only bugs removed my Office 365 account from OneDrive. When I tried to add it again OneDrive complained that I am already syncing this account (which was obviously not the case). So I uninstalled OneDrive and installed again (a typical behavior that I was used to when I was still working on Windows but which somehow feels awkward on a Mac).

Long story short, when I now try to cut and paste text in Word, a popup message appears “Contacting the server for information” and Word hangs indefinitely. Clicking the x in the dialog window does not help. This bug seems to only affect Word documents that haven’t been synced with OneDrive.

Word for Mac: Contacting the server for information

I already disabled syncing of Office files in OneDrive, but this didn’t solve the problem. I am now essentially unable to work with Word and I guess I have no choice and just move to Apple Pages.

Use Office applications to sync files that I open

I am really wondering why Word needs to contact Microsoft when I copy and paste in Word. What great feature could this possibly be?

Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant
    Member Points: 33,310
    4sysops member of the year 2018

Probably you have already seen this Microsoft Support article Why am I getting the message “Contacting the server for information”? but it seems not really exhaustive for your problem. It is interesting to understand why Word has to contact Microsoft for an easy task as copy and paste in Word.

Michael Pietroforte 
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

Paolo, thanks for the link. I didn’t read this. I guess the problem is that when OneDrive syncs many files, Word connections are postponed. I just monitored Word a little. Even though I don’t use Office 365 services, it connects to all kinds of servers if you only start the program. I now completely blocked Word and Office365ServiceV2 in Little Snitch.

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

Paolo Maffezzoli 
        Participant

Welcome, for my experience OneDrive sync is really improved in the latest updates and doesn’t have so many sync issues as seen in the past.

Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant

@Michael: “Your data, controlled by you” ….. a good news for you ?
    Microsoft Office Asking Users to Send More Usage Data

Microsoft Office has started displaying a new dialog box titled “Your data, controlled by you” when you start applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. These dialog boxes are new Microsoft privacy controls that ask if you will allow additional Office telemetry and usage data to be sent to Microsoft.

Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    Author of the year 2018

Sounds like bad news. The key messages here are “additional Office telemetry” and “for advertising purposes.” It seems they are planning to harvest even more private data from their paying Office customers and then monetize this data.

Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant

Hope the new dialog box should be enabled to the more restrictive choice. GDPR rules are not a choice, any user data is a user property and any internet supplier has to ask before collect data, including MS Word contacting the server…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 4sysops 2006 - 2019

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account