Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      Member Points: 60,892
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019Member of the Year 2020

Hi Michael,
      there are still points not updated in the monthly Member Leaderboard. All transactions are displayed correctly on the personal account but are not updated in the Member Leaderboard.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Member Points: 31,678
      Author of the year 2018

Paolo, thanks for the hint! It seems there is a caching problem. The cache is supposed to clear whenever someone receives points, but that didn’t happen for some reason. I cleared the cache and made a test and automatic cache clearing worked now. So I don’t know what caused the issue. I will keep an eye on it.

+1
      Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

Thanks Michael!

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

There is still the cache problem. Not a big issue but only to give an update.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

Yeah you are right, the cache doesn’t always clear automatically. I disabled caching now for logged in users. However, this makes the loading of the leaderboards slow.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

I had to enable caching again because without caching the homepage loads very slowly. I will try to find another solution.

Paolo Maffezzoli
        Participant

It is certainly better to maintain performance than to update points in real time.
        Alternatively you could update the ranking with a scheduled task once a day or other timing.

Leos Marek
      Member Points: 22,572
      Author of Year 2020

Hi Michael,
      seems that Monthly stats are not updating again.
      Cheers

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

Correct, monthly stats are not updated this month.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

Yeah I know. The problem is that it is unclear which plugin contains the bug. Could be the points plugin or one of the caching plugins. If I report the bug the developer of each plugin will claim that the other plugin is the culprit. It’s hopeless.

I also can’t disable caching because it would make the homepage very slow. The only option would be to remove the leaderboards from the homepage.

Another option would be to base the leaderboard only on likes. These would speed up things and we might be able to work without cache.

Let me know what you think.

+1
        Leos Marek
        Author of Year 2020

Not sure how do you mean it with homepage, the points are not shown there. I would assume that there is some query for the position only. Cant you just exclude Member board page from caching?

Also not sure how do you mean it with board based only on likes 🙂

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

Considering this cache issue , I think it is better remove the ranking from the home page (it is shown only to not logged users). A possible alternative could be remove stats from the cache and update once a day the data shown on the Member Leaderboard page.

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

Just to expand my previous comment. It is better to have always updated and consistent data. Stats are not the main purpose of the site, the main purpose are articles, news and other info. The ranking is only an effect of user participation, for this reason I would exclude it from being visible on the home page with real-time updates, keeping the statistical data in a separate section as it is now in the Community menu. My 2 cents.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

Leos, If I only exclude the caching of the member leaderboard, every page that contains the leaderboard will be very slow. It doesn’t matter if the points are displayed or not because the order of the leaderboard must be computed. This will become slower and slower as the log grows. A leaderboard that is based only on likes would solve the problem because the database query is much simpler. You would only get points when someone likes one of your posts or when you like someone’s post. No points would be issued for posting.

Paolo, removing the leaderboard from the homepage would only be a temporary solution. Loading the leaderboard will become slower and slower over time. The advantage of having the leaderboards on the homepage is that it encourages many visitors to register.

Leos Marek
        Author of Year 2020

Uh that sounds so weird. What I would expect is that there is a “total points” field in the table that gets update with each change or once in a while and your website only queries this single field…

Considering that posting points make a major part of our competition, its hard to say how would that work without it :))

Michael Pietroforte
          Keymaster
          Author of the year 2018

A total points field is not possible because you can create many types of leaderboards (likes, forum posts, month, day, year etc.). So you would need total point field for every type of leaderboard.

The advantage of a like-based leaderboard is that encourages to post quality rather than quantity.

Leos Marek
          Author of Year 2020

I see. Well, anyway, it cant be that hard for the developers to implement a sum field for a custom view. In the end its just an easy formula.

Considering that only me and Paolo post news usually, its hard to consider 🙂

Leos Marek
      Author of Year 2020

Hi Michael,

seems the member board for this month is not updating again.

Cheers

Michael Pietroforte
        Keymaster
        Author of the year 2018

I just updated it now. Sorry, I can only update it manually at the moment. The plugin and the interplay with other plugins is complex. It is hopeless to ask the developers to look into this because they will always claim that the other plugin is the culprit. I guess we need a different kind of member leaderboard in the long run.

+1
      Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

Hi Michael,
      jus to let you know that monthly stats are not updated.

Michael Pietroforte
        Keymaster
        Author of the year 2018

Hi Paolo, it might take sometimes a little because the leaderboard is cached. I updated it now.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2021

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account