This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Pietroforte 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    Member Points: 22,619
    Author of the year 2018

I just removed the leaderboards from the member homepage because they significantly slow down the page. The database queries are quite expensive now because the number of members has been growing. With all four leaderboards (top 5) the page needs almost 3 seconds to load.

With the current configuration the load time is 0.2 seconds. I added links to the full leaderboards to the sidebar instead.

Note that the leaderboards are still on the homepage for not logged-in visitors. We don’t have performance problem here because the page is cached. Caching for logged-in users does not work because each member sees a different page (avatar etc.).

An alternative would be to just have the two leaderboards of the current month on the member homepage. The load time would then be 1.2 seconds which is still 6 times slower than the current configuration.

Please let me know what you think.

Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant
    Member Points: 35,390
    4sysops member of the year 2018

In my opinion there are no problems to see the rankings on a different page. I prefer to have a good overall performance by opening the main page without delay to show monthly and annual leaderboards .

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant

After a month I can say that I prefer the 3 columns layout as shown for not logged-in visitors. More information in a single page without scroll or changing page.

Michael Pietroforte 
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

I introduced the 2 column format because I removed the leaderboards and there were not enough widgets for three columns. What information would you like to see in the sidebars?

Paolo Maffezzoli 
        Participant

I find more interesting have IT news and site activities in separate columns. Maybe leaderboards could remain and add an activity widget if there is enough space in the right sidebar. But that’s only my personal point of view.

Michael Pietroforte 
        Keymaster
        Author of the year 2018

Do you know that you can view only news by restricting the view to Updates? You can also view the news on the news page.  I removed the leaderboards because they significantly increase load time.

Paolo Maffezzoli 
        Participant

I know the news page but no problem it is only my thought to see info in a single page. I agree about removing leaderboards, for sure I prefer to have a responsive website.

Michael Pietroforte 
        Keymaster
        Author of the year 2018

I now changed back to two sidebars.

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 4sysops 2006 - 2019

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account