Tagged: 

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Stefan Hodgman
      Participant
      Member Points: 1

Hi All

I have recently setup MDT 2012 and WDS for PXE booting.I also setup MDT with the driver folder structure and the selection profiles and task sequence entries and downloaded the Dell Cab files from here:
      and imported them to the correct folders.

I am having a problem with the Dell E5420, it wont install any drivers except the LAN.This morning I tested on a Latitude E6400 ATG and it worked except for the base system device and Broadcom USH.

I also cant get it to load the Product key from the answer file, when I add the product key in the Shell setup specialize pass it fails at “setting up computer for first use”.I remove the key and it works again.

So to summarize:

1.E5420 Driver problem
      2.Specialize pass product key problem

attached is the xml file of my task sequence

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

Sorry, see attached xml output as text

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Joseph Moody
      Member Points: 1,918

Let’s tackle the first problem right now. Your task sequence looks good. The only difference I saw was that you specify all drivers should be installed from the selection profile where I specify only matching drivers. That shouldn’t make a difference though.

Can you take a screenshot of your Out of Box Drivers folder and post it? Make sure every folder is completely expanded. I am only interested in the folder layout.

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

The one task in the sequence that specifies all drivers to be copied should be disabled.. I only used it to test but I will check again to make sure.

Attachments:
      Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

I also found this regarding the license problem. I am just worried if this is actually legal?especially since we do not have VL for Windows 7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5560375d-e68c-4cde-83fe-a979efc722e8/mdt-2012-update-1-with-adk-windows-7-asks-for-product-key-after-lti?prof=required

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

Ok worked around the license problem by reverting back to MDT 2010.

Still struggling with the driver problem though, the task sequence does not install any drivers if I use my custom made image.But when I use the Win7 source files it works fine.

Custom built XP works fine aswell regarding the drivers.

Joseph Moody
      Member Points: 1,918

Hey Stefan,

Did you find a workaround for your custom image? You might want to look at editing the devicepath registry key manually.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731664(v=ws.10).aspx

Add your deploymentshare to the end of that key’s value. Let me know if this helps you work around it.

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

HI Joseph

At the moment the custom image is a no-go.I have reverted back to MDT 2010 and using the source files from the Dell Disk.As soon as I use a WIM that I customized and captured from my referenced computer the license and the drivers don’t work.

This is not ideal as it adds alot of time to the whole reimaging procedure.

Kyle Beckman
      Member Points: 332

A copy of the BDD.LOG and ZTIDrivers.log would be helpful to troubleshoot the problem.

Also, what OS and bitness are you using?  You mentioned Windows 7 and XP, but you haven’t mentioned whether they are x86 or x64.  Have you double-checked that you got the right drivers?  Dell’s support site has this nasty habit of changing OS on you if you’re not looking.  Just last year I tried to deploy a Server 2012 box with Server 2003 R2 drivers.  (For the record, it didn’t work!)  It’s very common for the LAN drivers to be bundled x86 and x64 together.  So, there’s a possibility that you may have the wrong bitness drivers.

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

Hey Kyle

Currently only X86.I downloaded the Dell Cab files made specifically for deployments, and the drivers do install when I use the Dell source files from the disk.As soon as I use a Sysprepped image nothing works.

And yes I know what you mean when you talk about the Dell website changing OS selection, very irritating.

Some sites where saying that there might be a “C:\Drivers” folder that needs to be removed before sysprepping but I have no such folder.

I will have to do a deployment with the old Image to get you those log files.

danny chung
      Participant
      Member Points: 0

Hi, all

I am new to this windows server 2012 environment and need people’s advice if you can.

I too just install the MDT 2012 and the SCCM 2012 on Server 2012.  I was troubleshooting why the config mgr 2012 unable to push the windows 7 image to the machines but it could perform the WOL.  Anyhow, I was troubleshooting the pxe boot image and so forth.

Some how, when I reboot the Server 2012 and log back either on the domain or locally.  It took me to the command prompt screen c:\users\danny.  It would not let me see any other desktop screen like application icons, control panel, search, start, settings, etc… no matter I press ctrl + esc, move my mouse trying to point the right bottom corner and nothing happen.  It looks so abnormal.

How do I get back to normal windows screen environment?  many thanks in advance..

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Member Points: 32,919
      Author of the year 2018

Danny, could it be that you somehow switched to Server Core? This is possible in Windows Server 2012.

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

HI Kyle

Here are the logs

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

BDD and drivers LOG

Attachments:
      Kyle Beckman

In your ts.txt that you posted, you have a task sequence that is setting the Task Sequence Variable DriverGroup001 to Windows7\x86\%Model%.

In line 602 of the BDD.log, the variable  DriverGroup001 is being set to Windows7\Latitude E5420.

So, when the task is looking for drivers, it is looking in a non-existant location based on the screenshot you posted.

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

That is an old TS sorry, it has changed in the meanwhile since whe only use one architecture x86

Like I said it installs the drivers when I use the unmodified, not-sysprepped and captured image.

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

Joseph,

Should I make that registry setting change before sysprep?

Kyle Beckman

Then something is happening during your OS deploy or sysprep that is causing this issue.  It doesn’t sound like your OS deploy task is the problem… it sounds like the problem may be somewhere in your process for creating your base image.  Are you creating your base image in a VM?  Is the process automated or do you make them manually?

I create a monthly ‘gold’ image in MDT 2012 every month that includes base OS, Office, and all of the updates up to that month in a Hyper-V VM.  We then use that image on several different hardware types using a process very similar to Joseph’s article.  I’ve never had any kinds of problems with drivers when we deploy that image to physical hardware.

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

I create the custom image in HyperV, install all the programs and windows updates

and then sysprep and capture with MDT “Sysprep and capture” task sequence.

Only thing I might be doing differently is I use the DELL OEM disk that comes with the computers for the license to work.

Kyle Beckman

Your MDT install is in a state of flux and the screenshots, logs, etc. are all from varying states/versions of the environment.  That is making it very hard to troubleshoot the issues you’re having.

At this point, you may want to engage Dell or Microsoft support on the issue.  Another option would be to switch to VL media/licenses in the future since it is very common for OEM media to contain vendor customizations that could be the cause of your problems.

Stefan Hodgman
      Participant

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2022

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account