Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Luc Fullenwarth
      Member Points: 16,086

Here an interesting experiment targeting the final user.

The short summary video

The article series

However we can legitimetely ask the same questions about SysOps and DevOps people…

Could we live and do an efficient work while boycotting all five tech giants?

What’s your opinion?

============================================

Other related articles from ZDNet:

Could you say goodbye to Google?

Could you abandon Amazon?

Could you really flee Facebook?

============================================

Update:

Here is roughly a list of consequences for SysOps/DevOps who are trying to get rid of the 5 tech giants:

Consequences of no Microsoft:

• No Windows Operating System
      • No Microsoft hypervisor
      • No Microsoft Office
      • No Microsoft mail
      • No Bing search
      • No Azure cloud
      • No Microsoft web browser (Internet Explorer/Edge)
      • No Microsoft authentication
      • No OneDrive storage
      • No Microsof Bing maps

Consequences of no Google:

• No Google suite
      • No Google mail
      • No Google search
      • No Google cloud
      • No Google authentication
      • No Google web browser (Chrome)
      • No GoogleDrive storage
      • No Youtube
      • No Google Maps

Consequences of no Amazon:

• No AWS cloud
      • No Amazon S3 storage

Consequences of no Apple:

• No Apple computer (consequences on some industries like architects/designers/movie makers)
      • No Apple web browser  (Safari)
      • No iCloud
      • No Apple Maps

Consequences of no Facebook:

• No Facebook authentication

Quality alternatives to the 5 tech giants:

• Linux as a server OS (good alternative for SysOps and DevOps)
      • Linux as a desktop OS (end users are reluctant and need to be trained to a new way of working)
      • Libre Office (end users are reluctant and need to be trained for new habits)
      • Other cloud providers (however quality is relative because they don’t provide as many services and redundancy as Azure/AWS/Google)
      • VMware
      • Only PC (instead of Apple computers)
      • Other mail providers
      • Firefox as web browser
      • Dropbox as storage provider
      • DailyMotion for online videos

Missing quality alternatives:

• Search engines
      • Easy SSO authentication technology??? (like authenticating with Google account, Facebook account and Microsoft account)
      • A Maps provider

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Member Points: 32,919
      Author of the year 2018

The answer to this question probably depends on your industry. As far as I am concerned, I could perfectly live and work without Microsoft and Facebook. Google is difficult if you don’t want to use Bing. But aside from the search engine I would do fine without Google. Working and living without Apple and Amazon would be impossible for me. I guess I could 4sysops move from AWS to another cloud, but my heart would bleed then. And if I was no longer allowed to work on Mac, I probably would become a Buddhist monk. 😉

Luc Fullenwarth

Yes, as long as you can use one of them, it’s not insurmountable problem. You “just” need to accommodate to new habits.
        When you want to get rid of all of them, it has a cost: you are making your life more difficult, and sometimes less efficient.

But I agree with you, the impact depends on your Industry.

Just trying to figure out roughly the consequences for SysOps/DevOps who are trying to get rid of the 5 tech giants:

Consequences of no Microsoft:

• No Windows Operating System
        • No Microsoft hypervisor
        • No Microsoft Office
        • No Microsoft mail
        • No Bing search
        • No Azure cloud
        • No Microsoft authentication

Consequences of no Google:

• No Google suite
        • No Google mail
        • No Google search
        • No Google cloud
        • No Google authentication

Consequences of no Amazon:

• No AWS cloud

Consequences of no Apple:

• No Apple computer (consequences on some industries like architects/designers/movie makers)

Consequences of no Facebook:

• No Facebook authentication

Quality alternatives to the 5 tech giants:

• Linux as a server OS (good alternative for SysOps and DevOps)
        • Linux as a desktop OS (end users are reluctant and need to be trained to a new way of working)
        • Libre Office (end users are reluctant and need to be trained for new habits)
        • Other cloud providers (however quality is relative because they don’t provide as many services and redundancy as Azure/AWS/Google)
        • VMware
        • Only PC (instead of Apple computers)
        • Other search engines (but less efficient)
        • Other mail providers

Missing quality alternatives:

• Easy SSO authentication technology??? (like authenticating with Google account, Facebook account and Microsoft account)

If anybody has other ideas to complete this list, feel free to tell them…

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      Member Points: 66,266
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019Member of the Year 2020Member of the Year 2021

In my opinion the best approach is how to use the best technology available and not boycott a product only for generic reasons. In any case, personally we can live in a enterprise world without a social network or similar services. Generally speaking Microsoft is hard to live without, just because they supply a lot of different products and services used by end users and industry.

Michael Pietroforte
        Keymaster
        Author of the year 2018

In my opinion the best approach is how to use the best technology available and not boycott a product only for generic reasons

Totally agree here.

Generally speaking Microsoft is hard to live without, just because they supply a lot of different products and services used by end users and industry.

You are right. However, things have changed here fundamentally in the last decade. Before, it was essentially impossible to work without Microsoft. But now organizations of any size and in almost any industry have a real choice. In the cloud, Microsoft is only second and far behind Amazon. And for on-premises, Apple is now real competitor and essentially any organization can perfectly live without Microsoft. This is true of the desktop OS and Office. Considering that Microsoft totally failed in the mobile market, Apple now has significant advantage because they can offer a solution where desktop and mobile work nicely together.

Luc Fullenwarth

Just added to the list:

• Web browsers
      • Online storage

And also to a lesser extend, but because there is also an impact on DevOps / SysOps work:

• Maps
      • Youtube
      Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      Member Points: 66,266
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019Member of the Year 2020Member of the Year 2021

About living without Microsoft OS is possible, Linux is definitely a real alternative. The only problem is how to manage the different environment from the end user point of view. A good solution is training, a partial solution is a Linux configured in an interface similar to MS Windows. Here some interesting examples : Best Linux distributions which look like Windows

And of course, I agree on Apple OS X as an alternative even in a corporate environment, now Apple can finally offer a solution for desktop and mobile users.

Luc Fullenwarth

Apple cannot be an alternative in this case because it is one of those giants.

Anyway, it is very likely that if we stop working with the existing giants, current challengers will grow enough to become giants themselves…

Michael Pietroforte
          Keymaster
          Author of the year 2018

Maybe you can live without the tech giants as a consumer, that is, if you don’t need a smartphone. However, in IT things are a bit more difficult. It would essentially mean that you do everything with Linux. Many have tried, and more have failed…

I think the main reason why someone wants to live without the tech giants is because of mistrust which I can perfectly understand. Thus, the main question is which of the tech giants you trust with your data.

Luc Fullenwarth

I tried Linux a few years ago, not because of a trust problem, but because I was tired of paying for every version of Windows and every version of MS office for my personal home usage. From my point of view I payed too much for a personal usage.

My personal experience with Linux was: this is only for people with knowledge and skills. Fortunately, about one year later I could purchase my last version of Windows, because when you have Windows 10 you can have all future versions for free.

Meanwhile, I migrated all my personal documents to Google Docs and Google sheets. But a few times later I discovered that my company has an agreement with Microsoft and that I can have the latest version of MS office for a very reasonable price. Since, I migrated my documents back. Also the online version of MS office has become very attractive.

But the main reason of all this was (for me) the price and not the trust or the privacy.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

I don’t think that Linux is more difficult to manage. It is just different. But once you get used to it, you will find that Linux is now easier to manage than Windows. This has partly to do with the PowerShell hype and partly because Linux is more consistent. Microsoft keeps changing things every week or so and that makes things time consuming. And then you have these countless bugs. Whenever something is not working you wonder if you made a mistake, if it is just another bug or a brilliant Microsoft engineer just found it cool to do things completely different this week. Linux, on the other hand, is extremely consistent, stable and reliable. If something doesn’t work, you can be sure that you made a mistake somewhere. Changes are not introduced on a whim and not tested on users because Linux developers don’t feel the pressure from management that needs to justify the service model

The main reason why Linux is no option for the desktop is that there are only a few really good applications for end users. There are also only a few good GUI tools for system admins which makes IT management expensive because you essentially need a developer for every simple admin task. Linux on the desktop is still an absolute no-no. However, as a server OS and especially as a cloud OS, Linux is far more advanced than Windows. This is why Microsoft had no choice and embrace Linux in Azure. But rest assured that Microsoft doesn’t love Linux. They just accept the fact that Linux rules the cloud.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2022

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account