This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Pietroforte 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author
     Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 48
    Member Points: 8,960

Sometime happens that are added in the news sections, articles or links already posted. I realized the it is hard to check if a news is already in the site when there are dozens of news. It happened quite often to many people, just for example “Create and play this holiday with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update coming Oct. 17 – Windows Experience BlogWindows Experience Blog” was initally pubblished 1 days ago and duplicated just 1 hour ago.
    A possible solution could be establish a limit of posted links in IT section and focus the attention only to few arguments. Another proposal is create a Tag and use a filter in order to have a check before post a news.
    Other ideas ?

2+

Users who have liked this topic:

Luc Fullenwarth 
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 25
    Member Points: 6,373

No need for a tag.
    In the Site-Wide Activity section (where you publish your links) just select Show Updates.
    Only News will then appear πŸ™‚

Show News

2+

Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 138
    • Replies: 330
    Member Points: 6,750

I added a new search feature on the weekend that allows you to find news. The Site-Wide Activity page has a new search box. After you click the search icon, you have to click “Activity.” This should help to find out if someone else already posted this news story.

Search for news

I am also planning to only post news on the homepage hat have been liked. That way, we can be less restrictive of what each member posts. The idea is to do something similar as on reddit. They also have many duplicate news posts. However, I need to code a little for this and I have to find some time first.

Luc Fullenwarth 

Great job!
      Thanks Mickael!

Paolo Maffezzoli 
      Participant

Hi Michael,

this search is really helpful but it requires a manual action. You could link this search to the “Add link” button in order to check if it was already posted before posting the link. What do you think ? So we can avoid the current newsfeed where there are 2 or 3 times the same news without any alert or other warning.

Michael Pietroforte 
        Keymaster

This is complicated to implement because an article can have different URLs.

I am planning to do something else that makes duplicate news less problematic. I want a voting system that only pushes certain news to the homepage. These news will get extra points. The idea is similar to Reddit. That way, we can be less restrictive what every member posts because most of it will only appear on the personal profile page. This system would also help to value quality over quantity.

I will need some time to implement this. In the meantime, I will delete duplicate news and news that are not about system administration whenever I see them. Points are then automatically deducted.

Paolo Maffezzoli 
          Participant

Ok, thanks for your clarification. I understand that it is not easy a pre-check before publishing. Just an idea. You can delete my Kinnect dismission post, it was only an off-topic news , but sometime sysadmins are a little bit creative πŸ™‚

Michael Pietroforte 
          Keymaster

I think I already deleted the Kinnect post. πŸ˜‰

Luc Fullenwarth 

I think this will endup with everybody publishing the same links, because everybody will think they don’t need to check for duplicates anymore… πŸ˜€

Michael Pietroforte 
          Keymaster

Yes, but then it doesn’t matter anymore. People are also posting the same links on Reddit or Facebook. The idea is that you will only get points and attention if other like your posts which won’t be the case if you post links that have been posted before or are just not relevant.

1+

Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant

Thanks Michael ! This search feature works fine. It allows to see if something is already in the news section or if there are news duplicated.

News duplicated

Instead Show Updates in the Site-Wide Activity section filter only news only for a specific user.

Luc Fullenwarth 

The Show Updates in the Site-Wide Activity section works fine for me.
      It shows me all news from everybody.
      You may have a bug…

If you want to see only news from a specific user you can do that from his profile.
      There is the same drop-down list.

Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant

ok, now it is more clear. I see all news posted in news section.Β  Thanks Luc for you help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forum. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending
Β© 4sysops 2006 - 2017

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account