Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      Participant
      Member Points: 101

Good morning everyone,

I was hoping I could get some guidance from you on how to solve this problem. I currently have many systems I remote into through SSH and have keys that are stored in a VeraCrypt partition that is then loaded into Dropbox. I decrypt the partition when I need it and unmount it when I am done. This has been a great system but I miss the ability to access the machines on my Android Phone using JuiceSSH. How would you approach this problem? Should I pursue a second way of encrypting to get the keys safely on my phone and to be able to use them quickly when needed? I tried to get the VeraCrypt Volume mounted using EDS Lite but it would not recognize the drive. I feel like I was close to a seemless and easy to use solution but getting access to my machines from my Android phone securely has been a little difficult. I don’t want to abandon the VeraCrypt > Dropbox solution as it fits my needs perfectly. I was thinking about getting a small usb-c flash drive to plug into my phone when needed but I cant find one that is small and unobtrusive enough that I would want to use. I came here for ideas, hope you can help. Thank you.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Member Points: 32,172
      Author of the year 2018

There are various solutions that allow you to encrypt Dropbox files. Just google for Dropbox encrypt.

However, I am unsure if it is really secure to store SSH keys in the cloud even if they are encrypted. It is safer if you connect your phone via USB to your computer and transfer the SSH keys manually.

Daniel
        Participant
        Member Points: 101

Thank you for your reply!  It is very secure as I encrypt the partition with AES 512 before it ever gets uploaded to my Dropbox. I should also state that it is already overkill for my needs as I manage basic websites on low resource hosts so I am just doing the best I can to offer some level of security and good practices. I do not trust Dropbox as they had breaches in the past that left every users files accessible for over 4 hours!

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Member Points: 32,172
      Author of the year 2018

Well, in that case I would use an encryption solution that was specifically built for Dropbox.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2022

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account