Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Miguel Gonzalez
      Participant
      Member Points: 666

Hi,

I am trying to set up a virtual lab in my laptop with nested virtualization. To emulate my production environment, I am interested in testing a nested Hyper-V cluster. I don’t really need live migration now, but actually I am doing this to check my backup application against a Hyper-V cluster.

Some people say to use a virtual SAN from Solarwinds but their trial is only for 60 days and I am planning to create back and forth my test lab.

Apparently vhdx can be shared via SMB and shown as CSV to the Hyper-V hosts but I can’t find any tutorial to do so.

Any guidance?

Leos Marek
      Member Points: 24,165
      Author of Year 2020Author of the Year 2021
        Miguel Gonzalez
        Participant

Well, I have spent more than a week trying to set up the free Starwind tool. It´s a nightmare to configure. I ended up having a broken configuration and removing the tool in the hyper-v server core

I am trying to configure a server core 2016 with iSCSI Target Server feature on to see if it´s much easier to setup. I tried to install the FS-iscsitarget-server feature on the Hyper-V server core 2016 but apparently it´s not included (fs-fileserver is, though)

Any other free and easier alternative to Starwind?

Miguel Gonzalez
      Participant

Nice! I have installed a Hyper-V 2016 Core server and i can manage it from my Windows 10 laptop.

I have installed the StarWinds console on my laptop but when I connect to the hyper-v host It says the free license doesn´t support GUI (I used the same license key that I got from my free download).

On the manual you have sent me it says I can connect from a Starwinds console. Do you have any idea of how to solve this?

Miguel

Paolo Maffezzoli
        Participant
        Member Points: 75,931
        4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019Member of the Year 2020Member of the Year 2021

@Miguel, only the paid version can use Management or Web Console.

Paolo Maffezzoli
          Participant
          Member Points: 75,931
          4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019Member of the Year 2020Member of the Year 2021

StarWind Virtual SAN Management Capabilities (Free) : Command line (Windows PowerShell), VVOLs, SMI-S

Miguel Gonzalez
      Participant

Just wondering. Would it be an alternative to use VHD sets instead of using Starwind? Will I miss any feature? I am just trying to build a laptop lab and I don´t want to overcomplicate things. I see Starwind free installation is a little bit cumbersome. In fact after playing around a bit I managed to create modifying the createHa_2.ps1 file a disk shared in the cluster but I did something wrong because one of the two servers see the disk and the other sees the disk as read-only.

Miguel Gonzalez
        Participant

Thanks! I figured it out myself using the powershell scripts Create_HA.ps1 that come with the tool

Leos Marek
      Member Points: 24,165
      Author of Year 2020Author of the Year 2021

Miguel,

what exactly are you trying to do? You have a laptop with Hyper-V role enabled and there you have another 2 Hyper-V hosts nested there and you want to create a cluster from those?

What are you testing?

Miguel Gonzalez
        Participant

Yes, I have a laptop running Windows 10 and I enable nested virtualization with Hyper-V 2016 core. In each of those Hyper-V guest hyper-V hosts I have installed Starwind Free as you suggested.

My main idea is to test a DC, CA, Exchange and probably SQL Server and Sharepoint. The cluster tests are only related to a Backup tool that I am testing that has a Hyper-V cluster agent  so that´s why I don´t need something very complicated. Maybe in the future I will need other stuff related to hyper-V clusters, but I don´t foresee any for the time being.

One of the benefits I have seen so far is that I have never used hyper-V core versions before and I find them very easily to manage and with the great benefit of a low footprint.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2022

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account