Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Member Points: 31,761
      Author of the year 2018

Whenever you connect to a new network (router) Windows 8 asks you if you want to turn on sharing between PCs on. If you say “yes” the sharing settings for the Private Network location type will be applied; if you say “no” the Public Network configuration will be used.

Turn sharing on or off

For Unidentified networks Windows uses the Public network location type by default. A security policy exists where this can be changed (Security Setting > Network List Manager Polices > Unidentified Networks.) The policy also allows you to set user permissions for changing the location. However, when I tried this policy I didn’t notice any effect. I never was able to manually change the location (in Windows 8 right click on the name of the network) when connected to an Unidentified network. Changing the location type for identified networks works fine.

Unidentified Networks Policy

Does anyone know the purpose of the above mentioned user permission policy? Is there a way to change the location manually without changing the policy?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2021

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account