Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Member Points: 32,173
      Author of the year 2018

It seems Gmail is completely down. Is anyone able to login?

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

Gmail just came back. Scary. All services were red (see attached below) for 10 minutes or so.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      Member Points: 63,231
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019Member of the Year 2020Member of the Year 2021

I have an account down, another one is still running. But there is a global problem random about Google services down.

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant
      4sysops member of the year 2018Member of the Year 2019Member of the Year 2020Member of the Year 2021

More info available on Google Dashboard: https://www.google.com/appsstatus

Michael Pietroforte
        Keymaster
        Author of the year 2018

My accounts all came back now. But the dashboard is still red. Amazing that this happens to Google.

Scary when you try to login and Google claims your account does not exist.

Steven
      Participant
      Member Points: 1,114

It happened to Microsoft and ISP worldwide not long ago as well.

I believe the expectation are unrealistic regarding availability.

Michael Pietroforte
        Keymaster
        Author of the year 2018

Yeah, you never get 100% availability. However, there are big differences. Microsoft is not really known for providing reliable software and services. Google is a bit better, I’d say. And in the 10 years 4sysops is running on AWS, I experienced 0 downtime.

Paolo Maffezzoli
      Participant

Someone in Google has changed something in the quota management…

Outage caused by a bug in storage quota system
      According to a tweet and a Google status report, the outage was caused by the company’s automated quota management system reducing the amount of storage available to Google’s authentication system.

“Today, at 3.47AM PT Google experienced an authentication system outage for approximately 45 minutes due to an internal storage quota issue. This was resolved at 4:32AM PT, and all services are now restored,” Google stated in a tweet from their Google Cloud account.

Link : Google outage caused by critical system running out of storage

Michael Pietroforte
        Keymaster
        Author of the year 2018

That explains why Google claimed that my account does not exist. A large company like Google should have a monitoring system that notices when a storage system runs low on space.

Steven
          Participant
          Member Points: 1,114

I believe Google has such a set up for their own system.

Michael Pietroforte
      Keymaster
      Author of the year 2018

Google worships automation. My guess is that the Google engineers were so convinced of their automated quota management system that they neglected monitoring. I mean it is easy to confuse quota automation with storage space monitoring. In the latter case you need humans who receive alerts when unusual storage consumptions occur. Google tries to get rid of human workers as much as possible. It is hard to explain how an human admin could have missed that such an important system will run out of storage.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2022

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account