This topic is resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Pietroforte 2 months ago.

• Author
     Nicole Miller 
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3
    Member Points: 137

Greetings – long time listener, first time caller. This issue is driving me mad enough that I’ve created an account here, hoping that someone might help me figure out this head scratcher.

I’ve got a Win 10 VM going via VMWare Horizon 7.2. Everything works dandy with the exception of custom fonts in IE11.

The error I get, CSS3111 seems to indicate that the fonts in question are being blocked somehow. I know in Win 10 there’s a new ‘feature’ called¬†Block untrusted fonts in an enterprise but I’ve disabled it in GPO, Local Policy and via the Registry.

This is happening both on VMs in which I have Admin Rights and on test users with base rights. Doesn’t happen in Chrome (we don’t use Edge or Firefox in Prod). It also doesn’t happen on a physical box I have with Win 10, also domain joined and thus subject to the same Group Policies.

Every article I’ve read about this seems to point to either Block untrusted fonts in an Enterprise or is geared towards a web dev that is having the issue with their own website, and thus is in a position to simply change the coding on the site. I don’t have this luxury.

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated!

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 136
    • Replies: 302
    Member Points: 5,676

It is strange that you don’t have the problem on a physical machine. Are the Windows 10 installations identical? You could try to virtualize your physical Windows 10 installation and see if the problem occurs. If not, you can at least rule out that VMware is the culprit. Then you can’t do anything and compare the two installations. It appears to me that this error message can have many causes.

1+

Karim Buzdar 
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 51
    Member Points: 2,941

Hi Nicole,

Was the information provided helpful? Please let us know your current situation.

Thank you,

Nicole Miller 
    Participant

Sorry for the delay, working on different projects!

I’ve spun up a test machine, also Windows 10 and am able to replicate the problem on Domain Users, but not on a local account. That’s making me think this is somehow related to Group Policy. I’m pulling up both Group Policies and comparing the two!

Michael Pietroforte 
      Keymaster

Are you sure that the local account has the same rights as the domain user? If so, it can be indeed a user-based policy. In that case I would create a new domain user in an OU without any linked GPO. If the problem doesn’t occur, you can be sure that it is a Group Policy setting.

You might also consider to get rid of IE asap. It is a dying browser and the likelihood that you will run into new problems increases with every new OS update. And don’t let anyone use the excuse that you have legacy apps that require IE. You need to get rid of those apps too. The longer you wait, the more expensive it will become for your company.

1+

Nicole Miller 
        Participant

Believe me, if getting rid of IE were an option I would have done it a long time ago. Unfortunately in the Public Sector, squeaky wheels have a lot more pull than the usual. We’ve made Chrome the default browser to deter IE use but folks way above my pay grade have made the choice to hold on to the past. Frankly, I’m just glad we’re not using Novell anymore. ūüôā

Good thinking on the OU, I’m going to give that a shot today!

Nicole Miller 
    Participant

Resolved!

Turns out this is related to DirectFlex in the UEM. Apparently if DirectFlex is enabled, it does something funky to fontdrvhost.exe

Created an xml blacklist file and voila, no more issue.

Relevant VMWare community article, in case anyone else has this issue: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/567087

Thanks for everyone’s help on this!

1+

Michael Pietroforte 
      Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forum. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending
© 4sysops 2006 - 2017

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account