Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Yasar altaf
      Participant
      Member Points: 182

Hi,

I am facing issue with RDM mapping.
      Basically, my client has 2 host clusters and an HPE SAN 2050 which is connected directly to the host over FC connection.
      So I have mapped CSV but when I create Virtual San Manger and map that Virtual SAN switch to my VM, the VM doesn’t boot with the error below.

HPE confirms that the SAN storage can connect directly to the host. It supports NPIV and the HBA card driver is also updated.
      My current host OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 and VM is also same…

Error:. NPIV virtual port operation on virtual port. Failed with error. The operation is not supported by the fabric..

please advise

Leos Marek
      Member Points: 24,164
      Author of Year 2020Author of the Year 2021

Hello,

arent you mixing two things together? RDM and CSV?

I dont understand why would you need to boot a VM from RDM mapped disk. More information about RDM can be found here https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-pass-through-disks/

Please provide more details, share some print screens of your SAN/VM configuration and what are you trying to achieve.

Cheers

Yasar altaf
      Participant

Appreciate for you response

I mean that i able map the CSV volume to physical host

but i failed to create the hyper-v San manger

when i create san manager with available wwwn number and after once i attached that virtual san manager to my VM so vm not booting..

when i remove virtual san manager from vm so vm gets start fine

i am not booting vm from storage any kind of…

Leos Marek

Please send a print screen of your Virtual SAN confiruration and from the virtual machines – all drives and FC ports.

How many FC HBAs you have in each host?

Yasar altaf
      Participant

Dear Leo,

Thanks for your prompt reply, as we have 2 physical Host, and each have one HBA card with 2 ports. for reference please do  find the attachment of configuration

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Yasar altaf
      Participant

Also please do find san manger details, attached separately   because unable to attached more then 4 in previous reply

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Leos Marek

Hmm I dont see anything wrong now, unfortunately I dont have proper hardware to do a test…

Does it work properly if you remove the Virtual SAN adapter and add one FC adapter directly to the VM?

Yasar altaf
          Participant

Thanks for reply…

During troubleshoot i installed server 2019 fresh OS and create VM with Generation 1 and create the vSAN so my vm started fine

Note: but in server 2012 even with Generation 1 it doesn’t   boot.

So in 2019 server created new Guest OS and  attached the vSAN to VM and its successfully  started, so as i wanted to map the LUN to Guest OS so i created the New LUN in HPE MSA 2050

and copied the WWPN number of VM (Guest OS) and pasted in HPE msa and mapped the newly created volume..

but i dont see new mapped volume in Guest VM in disk mgmt.. even after restart…

Could you please advise how to fix it…

Thanks

Leos Marek

Im sorry but I cant help much more without the HW to test. I have found this post which is pretty good, can you try to follow it?

How to Connect and Configure Virtual Fibre Channel, FC Storage and FC Tape Library from within a Virtual Machine in Hyper-v Server 2012 R2

Let me know how it goes.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© 4sysops 2006 - 2022

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forums. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account