This topic is resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile gravatar of Michael Pietroforte Michael Pietroforte 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile gravatar of Milos Mitic Milos Mitic 
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3
    Member Points: 191

Hello to everyone.

I installed windows 2016 GUI for a test on wannabe hyper-V host. I found about 50 devices that need drivers and I clicked one-by-one right-click and update driver software and everything except coprocessor was clean (which I manually installed).

Than I installed desired state: windows 2016 core which is, I must say, working like a charm on 8 years old IBM server (who is not even on microsoft HCL for server 2012).
    But on this 1 year old FS server, I am having problems with drivers.

first question: is there any way I can tell windows to automatically try to find drivers for all devices (ofcourse after I establish network connection) so I don’t have to click on each device?

second question: how can I do that on core?

Since I can’t open device manager from remote server, I have managed to see uninstalled devices through DevManView and ofcourse, there is the same number of those devices as there is on GUI.

third question: is there a way to use device manager from remote server?
    btw: I am using everything else from computer management 🙂

Profile gravatar of Karim Buzdar Karim Buzdar 
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 32
    Member Points: 1,472

Hi Milos,

Please below find an answers to your questions,

first question: is there any way I can tell windows to automatically try to find drivers for all devices (ofcourse after I establish network connection) so I don’t have to click on each device?

Try configuring windows (with the help of sconfig.cmd) to search windows updates for device drivers. Check the following links

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/sconfig-on-ws2016

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753091(v=ws.11).aspx

second question: how can I do that on core?

You can manually install drivers on Windows Server core with Pnputil. Check the following link,

Installing Drivers on Windows Server Core

third question: is there a way to use device manager from remote server?

Yes, you can use access the device manager of your core server from other computers MMC snap-in. Check the following link (section 1.3)
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574205(v=ws.11).aspx

Please let us know about your experience here.

Thank you,

Karim

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Profile gravatar of Karim Buzdar Karim Buzdar.
      Participant

Hi Karim,

1. GUI: What exactly do you mean by Try configuring windows?
      System updates are already configured (I applied updates successfully).
      Also, windows will install driver automatically but only after I right click on device and select update driver software
      Is there a way to tell windows to automatically try to find drivers for all devices so I don’t have to click each one of 50 devices?

2. CORE: I don’t have drivers. I want windows to retrieve them from windows update site automatically (since they exist there) 🙂
      Even if I have them, I don’t like idea installing one by one manually (there are 50 devices).

3. CORE: As I wrote, I am using remote computer management for everything but device manager.
      Error I receive is in the screenshot, and I should mention that those two services are started.
      Are you managing remotely device manager?

Thank you.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile gravatar of Michael Pietroforte Michael Pietroforte 
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 135
    • Replies: 273
    Member Points: 3,268

You can configure Windows to automatically install drivers. If you want to access Server Core remotely with Device Manager, you have to enable this first. Drivers can be installed with pnputil.exe on Server Core.

Profile gravatar of Karim Buzdar Karim Buzdar 
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 32
    Member Points: 1,472

Hi Milos,

Was information provided helpful? Please let us know your current situation.

Thank you,

Karim

Participant

Hello Karim and Michael,

Thank you for your answers but unfortunately I don’t find them useful for my situation. All links you have sent are for other and older versions of windows (some for windows 7, some for windows 2008)..

My current situation is:

I have 131 uninstalled driver on each of my core server. I cannot install them through pnputil because I don’t have drivers. As I already asked, I need a way to tell windows to install driver(s) automatically like in GUI version: right-click on device and update driver software.

It would be nice if that can be done for all uninstalled drivers, but I would satisfy with one by one solution.

Sorry if I wasn’t precise enough about device manager. If possible, I would like to manage/control device manager from a remote server, not just to use read-only mode as stated in Michaels link. Nevertheless I tried changing a setting in GPO: Allow remote access to the Plug and Play interface to ENABLED – but without success. I still receive the same error shown in screenshot from my previous post, I suppose it is because that setting was meant for windows 2008 core.

I must repeat that I can open and control all other options in computer management from a remote server.

Thank you.

Keymaster

Milos, all links I posted are still relevant. In Windows Server 2016 , you can still enable and disable automatic driver download in Devices and Printers. You can find the app in the Control Panel.

As far I as I know, you can use Device Manager remotely only in read-only mode.

I think, in Windows Server 2016 automatic driver download is enabled by default (only tried in Azure). Thus, I guess it is also enabled in Server Core. If you used the latest build for your installation, my guess is the drivers are not available through Microsoft.

I think your main assumption, that is, that you can just connect a server to the internet and then all drivers are installed automatically, is wrong. Best practice when installing drivers is to get the latest versions from the server manufacturer. They should also have instructions on how to install them.

Another thing. When working on Server Core, get used to working on the command line. You won’t get very far with remote GUIs. By the way, another useful tool when managing drivers on Server Core is devcon in the Windows Driver Kit (WDK).

Participant

Michael, I already tried devcon. Here is useful link for downloading devcon without entire WDK.
          Unfortunately, it is the same thing as with pnputil – you need to have drivers locally.

My assumption for installing drivers automatically is based on experience from GUI version on that same server.
          Thing that bothers me is that in GUI it can be done simply by right-click on device and update driver software.

I will try to find drivers from the server manufacturer.

For sure, I will let you know about final outcome.

Thank you.

Keymaster

It has a reason why you can’t install drivers remotely with the GUI. Drivers need to be downloaded on the remote machine, then the driver setup program has to be executed remotely, installation messages and configuration options have to displayed, the server wants your permission to reboot etc. It would be too much for the little Device Manager GUI to handle all this remotely.

All you can do is to check for Windows updates on a console and hope that some driver updates are available. However, as mentioned above, even on a server with GUI, you should not use Device Manager to install drivers because this way you only get the drivers from Microsoft. The drivers you get from the server manufacturer are usually more sophisticated and are the ones you should use for your sever.

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forum. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending
© 4sysops 2006 - 2017

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account