This topic is resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Karim Buzdar 1 month ago.

• Author
     Karim Buzdar 
    • Topics: 24
    • Replies: 79
    Member Points: 5,980

Hi,

Can I install Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 on Windows Server 2016 Core Edition? Although I know, we can install Exchange 2016 with the help of PowerShell but not sure about Server 2016 core edition.

Thank you,

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

Paolo Maffezzoli 
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 48
    Member Points: 9,038

I have not tried Windows Server 2016 Core Edition but it seems that is not supported :

Operating system

The following table lists the supported operating systems for Exchange 2016.

We don’t support the installation of Exchange 2016 on a computer that’s running Windows Server Core or Nano Server. The Windows Server Desktop Experience feature needs to be installed.

To install Exchange 2016, you need to do one of the following to install the Desktop Experience on Windows

Server prior to starting Exchange 2016 Setup:

Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Run the following command in Windows PowerShell

Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell -Restart

Windows Server 2016 Install Windows Server 2016 and choose the Desktop Experience installation option. If a computer is running Windows Server 2016 Core mode and you want to install Exchange 2016 on it, you’ll need to reinstall the operating system and choose the Desktop Experience installation option.

Source : Microsoft Technet – Exchange 2016 system requirements

1+

Karim Buzdar 

Paolo,

I was looking for a reason. Anyhow, Thank you.

Karim

Michael Pietroforte 
      Keymaster
      • Topics: 138
      • Replies: 331
      Member Points: 6,802

Exchange is a real beast, a very old beast. I suppose it uses many functions that are not available on those stripped down Windows editions. Exchange was originally build for GUI-Administration. Those GUI-realted functions are deeply integrated in the code and can’t be replaced easily. The PowerShell interface was just set on top of all that. Windows has the same problem. This is the reason why most Windows software does not work on Nano Server. It is essentially a new OS.

1+

Karim Buzdar 

Michael, thank you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Please ask IT administration questions in the forum. Any other messages are welcome.

Sending
© 4sysops 2006 - 2017

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account