- FREE: File Permissions Check - Compare folder and file permissions - Fri, Feb 20 2015
- FREE: ABC-Deploy - Software deployment and inventory - Wed, Apr 16 2014
- FREE: AD Permissions Reporter - View Active Directory permissions - Fri, Feb 7 2014
Update: This great free tool has been submitted in 2007 by Jeffrey Botts. Since then quite a few new features have been added and because Spiceworks 6.0 is now out, I (Michael) updated this post. The top new features and some screenshots follow after Jeffrey’s original comment. Also check out our Spiceworks installation guide.
Submitted by Jeffrey Botts, November 2007:
You want network management software that works for you, not software that makes you work. You wish you could have it… without spending a fortune. Your wish is granted.
Introducing the free Spiceworks IT Desktop. Designed, tested and used by 160,000 IT pros in 185 countries (Michael’s update: Spiceworks is now used by 2 million IT pros). Spiceworks has the everyday IT features you need:
- Automatic PC and software inventory and IT asset reporting to simplify your job.
- Network monitoring and troubleshooting to keep things running smoothly.
- Run an IT help desk for your company that’s easy to use and join the fastest-growing IT community.
It takes less than 5 minutes to get up and running. No agents. No scripts. No manual. No hassles. Just download Spiceworks and go.
Michael’s update: In addition to the above mentioned functions Spiceworks now also supports:
- Manage IT assets
- Manage changes & configurations
- Map your network
- Audit your software
- Manage power consumption
- Monitor SQL Server
- Be an MSP (Managed Service Provider)
- Talk to IT pros
Spiceworks 6.0 new features ^
- IT know-how with knowledge base
- New Spiceworks agent supports roaming devices
- Cloud Services Discovery
- Native Help desk on your iPad & Android tablets
- Nmap support
- Customized ticket
- New software data ribbon
- Manage Rackspace accounts
- Request a HP warranty quote
- New top-level navigation
A detailed description of the new Spiceworks 6.0 features can be found here.