- Manage Windows security and optimization features with Microsoft’s free PC Manager - Mon, Jan 23 2023
- IIS and Exchange Server security with Windows Extended Protection (WEP) - Wed, Jan 18 2023
- Remove an old Windows certificate authority - Mon, Jan 16 2023
Businesses today are very data-centric. This means that storing and working with data as well as safely transmitting data is very important to the workflows of today's businesses. Your organization may need to share files or actually move files back and forth between trading partners on regular intervals.
Whatever the use case for either sharing or moving files between your business and someone else, you want to have a solution to do this quickly, efficiently, and securely. SolarWinds Serv-U MFT Server is a product able to enhance security and control file transfers in and outside your organization. Is it able to do this effectively to handle the sharing and transmission of your business-critical file and data resources? In this review, we will take a look at SolarWinds Serv-U MFT Server, its key features, impressions while using the product, and compare it with Serv-U FTP Server.
SolarWinds Serv-U MFT Server allows you to share, exchange, and access files from anywhere. It supports a wide range of file transfer protocols, such as FTP, FTPS, SFTP, HTTP, and HTTPS. The SolarWinds FTP Voyager client and general FTP scripts, desktop clients, servers, and tablets can connect to Serv-U server.
The Serv-U MFT Server lets you upload, download, and edit files from any desktop web browser. Web Client PRO allow you to transfer multiple files, very large files, or drag and drop files from local file systems. With the mobile access, you can view documents from popular devices such as iPads, iPhones, and Android devices. The Serv-U management console is accessible from any web browser, which makes managing the solution easy for IT operations.
A tree control on the left keeps system and domain settings separate and maintains quick access to user management options, monitors, and settings.
Serv-U key features
What are the key features of the SolarWinds Serv-U solution? Serv-U offers several key features to note, including the following functionality:
- Securely transmit files over a reliable connection: Uses a range of security protocols including FTP, FTPS (FTP over SSL/TLS), SFTP (FTP over SSH2), HTTP, HTTPS (HTTP over SSL), IPv4, and IPv6 networks. It also supports FIPS 140-2 validated cryptography.
- Provide an easy way for ad-hoc file sharing to send and receive files: Senders only need to upload a file to the Serv-U and set an expiration date. Serv-U emails the download link to the recipient. The recipient can then download the file.
- Transfer files easily with web and mobile devices: Upload and download files from any device and any network, supporting file transfers, multiple file transfers, side-by-side transfers, and folder synchronization.
- Easily transmit and receive large files: Files over 3 GB in size are large. These are easily transferrable using Serv‑U.
- Provide a central location for file transfers, management, and automation: Perform file transfer administration and management easily using a single, easy-to-use web console. Administrators can easily set up domains, add users and groups, monitor FTP transmissions, logs, and define permissions, among other capabilities.
- Easily comply with regulatory requirements: Serv-U can support FIPS140-2 validated cryptography and is geared for meeting the strictest compliance standards, covering complete process of file sharing, access, encryption, and system logging.
- Integrate your file transfer permissions and user access with existing Active Directory (AD) and Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) servers: Centralize permissions for your file transfers based on your existing identity source, whether it be AD or LDAP servers.
- Monitor FTP activity and domain logs conveniently and easily: Logs and monitoring are easily accessible via the web console. You can view and monitor FTP server and domain logs online for help with quick troubleshooting and error handling. These logs can be forwarded to log management and SIEM tools for further analysis and reporting
- Use event triggers to automate actions based on activity and events seen: Provide levels of automation to your file transfers using event triggers and customizable automated actions.
- Customize the look and feel of your web client branding: Customize your file transfer portal with the look and feel of your business, including custom logo, text and advanced custom CSS
- Set up file transfer permissions and user access: Set up limits and permissions for FTP operations and processes with variety of customizable options for FTP command processor, SSL/SSH encryption, certificates, and file-sharing permissions defined at the user, group or domain level.
The requirements from a hardware perspective for Serv-U depend on the amount of traffic that will be traversing the Serv-U server. The requirements are fairly modest nonetheless.
Hardware requirements are as follows:
|General minimum requirements|
|CPU 1||1 GHz+ (Dual Core Recommended)|
|Network||10/100 Mbps NIC|
|Hard drive space||30 MB|
|Video||128 MB video RAM|
|Up to 500 users; 25 simultaneous transfers|
|Hardware||Minimum requirement for modest traffic|
|CPU||2 GHz+ multi-core|
|Network||10/100/1000 Mbps NIC|
|Hard drive space||120 GB|
|Video||128 MB video RAM|
|Up to 10,000 configured users; 250 simultaneous transfers|
|Hardware||Minimum requirement for high traffic|
|CPU||Multiple 3.2 GHz+ multi-core|
|Network||10/100/1000 Mbps NIC|
|Hard drive space||120 GB|
|Video||128 MB video RAM|
Operating system and software requirements include:
|Operating system or software||Requirement|
|2012, 2012 R2|
|2008 R2, 2008 RS SP1|
|Linux||Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) v.7.2 (recommended)|
|Database server (optional)||MS SQL 2014, 2014 SP1, 2014 SP2|
|MS SQL 2012, 2012 SP1, 2012 SP2, 2012 SP3|
|MS SQL 2008 R2, 2008 R2 SP1, 2008 R2 SP2, 2008 R2 SP3|
|LDAP server (optional)||Active Directory: same as Windows Server support|
|Open Directory 4|
Versions (FTP vs. MFT)
You will notice if you visit the Serv-U page from SolarWinds, there are two different products referenced. There is Serv-U FTP Server and Serv-U MFT Server. While each product is very similar, they each have their proposed use case. However, note the Serv-U MFT Server contains all the functionality of the Serv-U FTP Server. Which solution would you pick between the two?
To provide some distinction between the two, Serv-U FTP Server's design offers quick, easy, and reliable file transfers requiring FTPS to secure FTP, scripted transfers and limited number of users. Serv-U MFT Server goes beyond this and offers full corporate-grade file transfers supported by FTP, FTPS, SFTP, and HTTPS to ensure compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Federal Information Security Modernization Act (FISMA), Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), and other standards. As a version comparison between the two, take a look at the following table to understand the differences between the two products and which desired capabilities would determine which solution you would choose.
|Feature||Serv-U FTP Server||Serv-U MFT Server|
|Access local and shared storage from anywhere||Yes||Yes|
|Virtual folders, groups, and granular permissions||Yes||Yes|
|Transfer rations and quotas||Yes||Yes|
|Automated file management||Yes||Yes|
|Events, notifications, and conditional execution||No||Yes|
|“Ad-hoc” file sharing||No||Yes|
|Windows or Linux (Red Hat, SUSE, etc.)||Yes||Yes|
|Native 64-bit application||Yes||Yes|
|IPv6 and IPv4||Yes||Yes|
|FTP and HTTP||Yes||Yes|
|FTPS (via SSL/TLS)||Yes||Yes|
|SFTP (via SSH2) and HTTPS (via SSL/TLS)||No||Yes|
|FIPS 140-2 validated cryptography||No||Yes|
|Basic web client||Yes||Yes|
|Support for iPad, iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, etc.||Yes||Yes|
|Web Client Pro (large files and multiple transfers)||Yes||Yes|
|FTP Voyager JV (sync and side-by-side transfers)||No||Yes|
|Tray icon and local management console||No||Yes|
|Self-serve password recovery||No||Yes|
|Remote web and iPad management console||No||Yes|
|User and group statistics (auditing and reporting)||No||Yes|
|Domain setup wizard for file sharing||No||Yes|
|Custom branding for file sharing guest UI||No||Yes|
|Active Directory or LDAP authentication||No||Yes|
|Third-party integration via API or DB||No||Yes|
|Custom web client logo, text, and HTML||No||Yes|
There is also a significant difference in price between the two products.
Serv-U FTP Server
|Servers||Concurrent sessions||Price per server|
Serv-U MFT Server
|Servers||Concurrent sessions||Price per server|
Benefits of using Serv-U MFT over Serv-U FTP
FTP is a commonly used file transfer methodology. Organizations adopt MFT to meet broader use cases and business requirements. It offers additional features and functionality to make it a comprehensive file transfer solution. It facilitates fast and secure data transfers for large and small organizations. As you examine the table of feature comparisons above, you will note the following:
- FTP: Offers basic file transfer requirements, including FTP/FTPS and HTTP protocols
- MFT: Offers broader IT needs and larger file transfer and file sharing requirements; MFT Server supports FTP, FTPS, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS, IPv4 and IPv6, FIPS 140-2 validated cryptography.
- With the help of FTPS and SFTP, MFT prevents snooping, tampering, leakage, and accidental exposure.
In addition to offering drag-and-drop file transfer access from the web, FTP clients and mobile interfaces, it supports ad‑hoc file sharing capabilities for sending and requesting files. Users can upload files to on Serv-U server and set a password and expiration date. They can also manually share this link via social media and other methods.
The free built-in plug-ins with Serv-U MFT include FTP Voyager JV and Web Client Pro. They enable large file transfers greater than 3 GB, multiple file transfers, side-by-side transfers, and folder synchronization capabilities. Serv-U MFT Server provides comprehensive administration options for IT teams to have complete control over FTP transfers on the network.
The Management Console is designed to provide quick and easy access to the configuration options of the file server in a familiar way. Serv-U MFT Server also allows monitoring in real time, providing statistics of FTP operations, users and sessions, and server and domain logs. You can forward these logs to SIEM systems for further analysis and compliance reporting.
In addition to the administration capabilities available in FTP Server, MFT Server supports Active Directory and LDAP authentication while providing options to manage users and groups. You can define limits and permissions for FTP operations and file sharing processes. MFT Server can execute automated actions, including emailing upon file transfer, moving files based on filename or other attributes, and writing to Windows Event Logs.
Serv-U FTP Server is designed for smaller business requirements. It is limited to 3 domains, 250 end-users, and 100 concurrent sessions. Serv-U MFT Server supports unlimited domains, end users, and concurrent sessions.
For high availability, you can have multiple MFTs inside the firewall authenticated by AD/LDAP, and you can have a load balancer to distribute connections to each MFT Server instance. This is known as N+1 horizontal scaling.
Since Serv-U MFT Server provides all the features and functionality of the Serv-U FTP Server, let's look at the installation process of installing Serv-U MFT Server as well as feature impressions.
Serv-U Gateway Server
There is another piece to the SolarWinds solution for ensuring there is no data "at rest" in a demilitarized zone (DMZ) network. The Serv-U Gateway Server provides additional security to the solution and allows the following benefits:
- Ensures no data is stored in the DMZ
- Helps meet compliance standards
- Provides GUI installation, configuration, and management
- Supports FIPS 140-2 validated cryptography
- Supports active-active N+1 horizontal scaling of the Serv-U MFT Server
By using the Gateway, file transfers are more secure, and data is protected more fully during the transfer process.
Installing Serv-U MFT Server
The Serv-U MFT Server installation process is a "next, next, finish" process. Screenshots from this process are below. In the following walkthrough, I am executing the installer downloaded from SolarWinds for the Serv-U MFT Server trial version.
This is the language selection:
Accept the end-user license agreement (EULA) for the installation.
Select the destination location for the Serv-U MFT Server installation.
Choose whether you want to create a desktop shortcut as well as whether you want to install Serv-U as a system service.
The installation process is ready to begin after you have made your selections. Click Install.
After the installation finishes, it will prompt you to add a Windows Firewall exception for Serv-U MFT Server. This allows computers to be able to connect to your FTP server running via the service.
Click Finish and start the Serv-U Management Console.
You will most likely want to install a different browser for management, such as Chrome. Upon first launch, you will see the note here about IE Enhanced Security. Click OK.
Upon first launch of the management console, you will see the message about adding domains to your server. Click Yes to add your first domain.
Configure a Serv-U domain
Configure Serv-U domain users
You will need to have a user to access the Serv-U domain. When you finish the domain wizard, it will prompt you to create a new user as well.
Serv-U will prompt you with a wizard to create the new user.
Assign a login ID and other relevant details to the account.
Create a password.
Assign a home directory for the user. You can also lock users inside their home directories if you want them to stay within that context.
Assign the access rights for the home directory. This can be read-only or full access.
After configuring the user for accessing the domain in Serv-U, let's see what client access to Serv-U looks like.
Connecting to Serv-U MFT using the web client
Now that I have set up a test domain and a user, let's see what it looks like to connect to the MFT Server. To be able to see connection options, you need to be running the web server piece on your MFT Server. When you connect to the MFT Server via the normal HTTPS connection and login, it presents you with the Client Options dialog box. The three options include:
- Web Client
- FTP Voyager JV
- File Sharing
Clicking the Web Client takes you to the interface. If you drop down the Jump to menu, you have the option to set up File Sharing.
Clicking the File Sharing option takes you to the Request/Send Files screen.
After clicking Send Files, it displays the Send Files to Guest User screen. There are really great options presented here that you would be hard pressed to get with a vanilla Windows FTP server. These include:
- Link expiration
- Email address filtering
- Custom passwords
After populating the screen with the guest user email address and other information, it takes you to step 2 of the process. On this screen, you upload the file(s) to the server to share.
The file is successfully shared for the guest user to access.
Impressions and wrapping up
I found the SolarWinds Serv-U MFT Server to be fully featured with all the features and capabilities you would expect for a solution geared toward enterprise-level file transfers and then some. Being able to deploy either the FTP or MFT options gives businesses options when considering which solution they want. One or the other option may make sense depending on the budget and the actual use case they need to address.
Serv-U MFT Server provides great features from the standpoint of accessibility and manageability, allowing web-based access for just about everything you want to view. Accessing the solution on desktop and mobile browsers works equally well. Security is one area where the Serv-U solution excels, and this is evident with the security features included. Additionally, to bolster security with file transfers, using the Serv-U Gateway solution to move files between internal and external networks ensures there is no data at rest in the DMZ.
Subscribe to 4sysops newsletter!
For businesses looking at a solution for file transfers, Serv-U provides really great features. You can license it at a level that can satisfy most business sizes and needs. Check out SolarWinds Serv-U where you can download a fully featured trial version to test it out.