- FREE: File Permissions Check – Compare folder and file permissions - Fri, Feb 20 2015
- FREE: ABC-Deploy – Software deployment and inventory - Wed, Apr 16 2014
- FREE: AD Permissions Reporter – View Active Directory permissions - Fri, Feb 7 2014
4sysops readers have the chance to win one of 10 eBooks of the new Microsoft Press book "Network Your Computers & Devices Step by Step". If you want to take part in this raffle please send an email to . The deadline of this contest is March 8, 2011
The book is written by Ciprian Rusen, from 7 Tutorials. It is aimed at people who want to build and manage a small network. It focuses mostly on Windows 7 and covers all the networking related features this operating system has to offer. One of the things which separate it from other similar books is that it extensively covers network interoperability between Windows 7 and all other major operating systems: Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Mac OS X v10.6 (Snow Leopard) and Ubuntu Linux v10.10 (Maverick Meerkat). If you've got a network with diverse computers and operating systems, this book can truly help you make them all work well together.
In approximately 560 pages, you get extensive coverage on the following topics:
- Chapter 1: Setting Up a Router and Devices
- Chapter 2: Setting User Accounts on All Computers
- Chapter 3: Setting Up Your Libraries on All Windows 7 Computers
- Chapter 4: Creating the Network
- Chapter 5: Customizing Network Sharing Settings in Windows 7
- Chapter 6: Creating the Homegroup and Joining Windows 7 Computers
- Chapter 7: Sharing Libraries and Folders
- Chapter 8: Sharing and Working with Devices
- Chapter 9: Streaming Media Over the Network and the Internet
- Chapter 10: Sharing Between Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows
- Chapter 11: Sharing Between Mac OS X and Windows 7 Computers
- Chapter 12: Sharing Between Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 Computers
- Chapter 13: Keeping the Network Secure
- Chapter 14: Setting Up Parental Controls
- Chapter 15: Troubleshooting Network and Internet Problems
To get a better taste of it and the style in which it is written, you can find a Free Sample here (PDF version).
Up To 50% Discount - Available Until January 31st, 2011
Readers interested in purchasing the book, get access to a discount code available only on the O'Reilly Shop until January 31st, 2011. When you order Network Your Computers & Devices Step by Step, use the AUTHD discount code. You will receive a 40% discount on print and 50% discount on the digital version.
People interested in buying the print book, will get access also to the digital version of it for free. The book can purchased from the following locations:
- Amazon US - 34% discount available for the next few days.
- Amazon Canada - 44% discount available for the next few days.
- Amazon UK - 38% discount available for the next few days.
- Amazon Germany - 4% discount available for the next few days.
- Barnes & Noble - 30% discount available for the next few days.