Windows Server 2008 RTM has been out out for some days now. I suppose only the adventurous are running it already in a productive environment. Even if you're not planning to deploy Windows Server 2008 in the near future, I recommend having a look at its new features now. Who knows, maybe there are one or two features that might convince you to install Microsoft's latest server OS earlier than planned.
- Poll: How reliable are ChatGPT and Bing Chat? - Tue, May 23 2023
- Pip install Boto3 - Thu, Mar 24 2022
- Install Boto3 (AWS SDK for Python) in Visual Studio Code (VS Code) on Windows - Wed, Feb 23 2022
I've been blogging about Server 2008 for quite some time now. Below you'll find a list of those posts discussing new features. I also recommend skimming over Microsoft's new white paper: Changes in Functionality from Windows Server 2003 with SP1 to Windows Server 2008. The word file has 341 pages. So you could say it is a free e-book about Windows Server 2008. Of course, you won't find any critical comments there.
German speaking readers might also have a look at the comprehensive article about Windows Server 2008 I wrote for Computerwoche. I added another chapter about the Terminal Services recently. You will find even more critical words there than in my blog posts.
All in all, I think that Server 2008 is a more interesting product than Windows Vista. Particularly, the consequent modularization, the new Terminal Services, Network Access Protection and Server Core are new functionalities that convinced me, even though I found a couple of shortcomings, too.
Subscribe to 4sysops newsletter!
- Some more better-together features of Windows Vista - Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista - better together?
- Windows Server 2008 prices
- Review: Works With Tool (WWT) for Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008 NAP (Network Access Protection) infrastructure
- Windows Server 2008: Network Access Protection (NAP) essentials
- Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services: Changes of remote administration mode
- Windows Server 2008: Terminal Services new features - Part 2
- Windows Server 2008: Terminal Services new features - Part 1
- Windows Server 2008: Changes in DNS server functionality
- Windows Server 2008: Create and view Active Directory snapshots
- Windows Server 2008: Restartable Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS)
- Windows Server 2008: The disadvantages of RODCs
- Windows Server 2008: How to install and configure an RODC
- Windows Server 2008: Read-Only Domain Controller (RODC)
- Windows Server 2008: Active Directory Auditing
- Windows Server 2008: Fine-grained password policies
- Another top 10 list of Windows Server 2008 features
- Windows Server 2008: Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
- Windows Server 2008: Server roles and Server Manager
- Windows Server 2008 (Longhorn): Getting started with Server Core
- Windows Server 2008: Server Core essentials
- Windows Server Server 2008: 10 most important new features
- The hypervisor of Windows Server 2008: How virtualization works in Microsoft's new server OS
Want to write for 4sysops? We are looking for new authors.