Submitted by Alex Vovk
- FREE: File Permissions Check – Compare folder and file permissions - Fri, Feb 20 2015
- FREE: ABC-Deploy – Software deployment and inventory - Wed, Apr 16 2014
- FREE: AD Permissions Reporter – View Active Directory permissions - Fri, Feb 7 2014
Inactive Users Tracker automates the management of inactive user accounts. The program periodically checks all user accounts in specified domains and reports all accounts inactive for more than specified number of days.
- Checks all users and reports those that have been inactive for a specified number of days.
- Automatically deactivates inactive user accounts, either by disabling or setting a random password, or finally deleting such accounts (*).
- Sends notifications to managers about their inactive direct reports (*).
- Reports can be sent to IT auditors to ensure regulatory compliance (SOX, HIPAA, FISMA, etc).
To detect inactivity, the tool checks the "lastLogon" attribute of every user account, which represents the last time a user was authenticated by a specific DC. AD doesn't replicate this attribute; as a result, the lastLogon value will be different on each DC. Inactive Users Tracker handles this correctly: It queries all DCs in the domain and uses the most recent logon time, also called the "true last logon".
Inactive Users Tracker is provided free of charge for unlimited use by organizations and individuals. The commercial version is available with the following features: notifications to managers, report customization, automatic account deactivation or deletion, and full technical support. We also provide free of charge technical support for the freeware version on the Support Forum.