- AWS Cost Anomaly Detection: A step-by-step guide - Thu, Sep 9 2021
- Install and configure Amazon CloudWatch Agent on EC2 instances - Wed, Sep 1 2021
- Hybrid DNS between AWS and on-prem with AWS Route 53 Resolver - Thu, Jun 3 2021
Using OMS does not mean you no longer need SCOM. Actually, integrating them will make your monitoring more seamless and powerful. In other words, you are bringing SCOM to the next level.
Why integrate OMS with SCOM? ^
These are the main reasons for considering the integration between SCOM and OMS:
- Well-structured insights: Collecting too much data without the proper structure would not be very helpful. With OMS you can query this massive amount of data and get visual and meaningful insights.
- Easy to manage: It's pretty easy to manage your monitored agents via OMS.
- Less infrastructure headache: Managing your SCOM agents via OMS means Azure processes all the pulled agents. You will never experience performance issues no matter how many agents you have.
Before starting the integration, you need to meet the following prerequisites:
- The SCOM version must be at least 2012 SP1 UR6 or 2012 R2 UR2.
- If you are going to use a proxy, you need to make sure the SCOM versions are at least 2012 SP1 UR7 or 2012 R2 UR3.
Registering SCOM to OMS ^
First off, we have to register SCOM to the OMS workspace. To do so, you need to follow these steps:
- Open the Operations Manager console.
- Navigate to Administration -> Operations Management Suite -> Connection. Click on Register to Operations Management Suite as shown in the following figure.
Note: If you are not using SCOM 2012 SP1/R2 with the latest update rollups, note that its name is "Operational Insights" not "Operations Management Suite." But you still need to follow the procedure explained here.
- It will then prompt you to enter the credentials of your Azure subscription on which you have your OMS workspace, as shown in the following figure.
- If you have multiple OMS workspaces, you will have to choose one. Otherwise, it will select the only available workspace automatically, as shown in the following figure.
- After clicking on Next, you will note it summarizes everything you have done if you want to check it, as shown in the following figure.
- After clicking on Create, it takes a little while to register SCOM to the OMS workspace.
Monitor SCOM agents via OMS ^
To monitor a SCOM agent via OMS, you do not need to install the OMS agent. You can do this by just following these steps:
Subscribe to 4sysops newsletter!
- From the Operations Manager console, you need to navigate to Administration -> Operations Management Suite -> Connection. Click on Add a Computer/Group as shown in the following figure.
- A computer search wizard opens up wherein you need to specify your search criteria and add the results, as shown in the following figure.
- After you add the agents you want to monitor via OMS and click OK, all you need to do is wait a couple of minutes until the OMS workspace detects the agents.
SCOM integration with OMS should help you extend your monitoring solution. You'll get the best features of both OMS and SCOM without the need to give up one of these solutions because they complement each other.