The PowerShell script I discuss in this post creates a Group Policy backup in a different way than with the Backup-GPO cmdlet of the Group Policy module. With my function, it will be much easier to identify the correct Group Policy Object (GPO) in case you have to restore Group Policy settings.

Mike Kanakos

Mike is a Windows IT pro located in the Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina with 13+ years of experience as an admin and 20 years in the field. He specializes in Active Directory, Azure AD, Group Policy, and automation via PowerShell. You can follow Mike's blog at networkadm.in or on Twitter at @MikeKanakos.

Let's take a quick peek at the GPO-specific cmdlets included in the GroupPolicy module from Microsoft.

Performing a backup using Backup-GPO ^

Let's a take a backup of a single GPO and see what the output looks like.

Backup GPO output

Backup GPO output

I asked the cmdlet to back up the GPO named "Default Domain Policy." The cmdlet created a folder that contains all the relevant parts of the GPO. However, the folder's name is not "Default Domain Policy." Instead it is named after the BackupID created for the GPO.

The BackupID is a 32-bit identifier that is unique for each backup. Its name matches the name of the folder containing the backup copy of the GPO. Microsoft does this so you can take multiple backups of the same GPO, save them in a common location, and separate them for later retrieval.

BackupID is unwieldy to work with in my opinion, especially if you are backing up more than one GPO. In fact, I would bet the default behavior most admins do is to backup GPOs in bulk on a regular schedule. Imagine saving a few copies of your GPOs to the same folder by BackupID and then trying to figure out which GPO is which. It is impossibly hard to manage. In this scenario, you end up with just a giant list of folders with unintelligible GUIDs.

Backup GPO output of many GPOS

Backup GPO output of many GPOS

My solution ^

I got frustrated with this approach and set out to make a better backup that lists my backups by GPO name instead of BackupID. However, Microsoft still requires the BackupID for restoring the GPO at a later date, so I decided to append the GPO Name to the folder created by Microsoft's Backup-GPO cmdlet. This gives me the best of both worlds: the GPO name and the BackupID.

Since I am still using the Microsoft cmdlets to do the work, I will need to read the GPO info, backup the GPO, and finally append the GPO name with a delimiter to the newly created folder after the backup of each GPO occurs.

Finally, I want all the GPOs saved in a folder named after the backup date. For example, if I was backing up my GPOs to a network share named Group-Policy, I want a folder created called 2019-01-05 and then a subfolder for each GPO. Here's a screenshot of how it would look:

Desired Folder Layout

Desired folder layout

For me to back up all GPOs, I would have to run the cmdlet Backup-GPO -all. The -all parameter requires a backup path and the domain name that the Group Policies are a part of. You can also specify the server, but it is not a requirement. I'll create a function called Backup-GroupPolicy to back up all GPOs. The function will have parameters for the backup path and for the server to back up the GPOs from.

I also read the domain info and save it to a variable. I'll name these variables $Path, $Server, and $Domain. $Server is not the greatest name. Since we really need the name of a domain controller (DC) for the cmdlet to work, $DC would be better. But Microsoft used ‑Server instead of -DC or -DomainController in their cmdlet, so I will follow suit as well in my function to be consistent and avoid confusion.

The first thing I need to do is read the current GPOs and store the info so I can manipulate it later on:

Then I will need to create a folder to save the GPO backups to. Remember, I have the $path variable that contains the backup path.

I am using Out-Null after I create the folder to hide the output normally shown after the creation of a new folder. At this point, I have my GPO info stored in a variable and a date-based folder to save my backups to. Now I need to perform the backup and manipulate the default GPO backup settings.

The process I'll be following is pretty simple. A loop will perform a backup of each GPO one at a time. The backup will write the data to the location specified in the $UpdatedPath variable and simultaneously save the backup metadata to some temp variables. After the backup of a GPO finishes, the process will then append the name of the GPO to the folder just created. That process will continue for each GPO in my domain.

The backup script ^

Now's let's put all of these bits together into a complete script:

You can run this function as needed or schedule it to run regularly via a scheduled task or a scheduled job. Once scheduled, it's one less thing you have to perform manually each month. If you work at a company that uses GPOs heavily, this function may take a good bit of time to run. I have approximately 150 GPOs in my employer's domain, and the script takes just a few short minutes to complete. The script will show the name of each GPO it's backing up when running it, so you can get an idea of how much work it has completed.

Script output in progress

Script output in progress

Conclusion ^

I built this function because I was not happy with the default output from the built-in Microsoft tools. That's what makes PowerShell so great: if something doesn't work as expected, you can build your own tool! My hope is that this tool will become a useful addition in your sysadmin arsenal. Be on the lookout for a follow-up article that walks you through the restore process using a script I wrote that was designed to do restores specifically from the backups created by this tool.

Last but not least, all my scripts are constantly under revision as I find new ways to improve them. You can find the latest version of all my scripts at my Github PowerShell repo. Let me know what you think in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!

Join the 4sysops PowerShell group!

Users who have LIKED this post:

1. Michael Webber 9 months ago

I see on line 91, the hyphen is missing from path.  It should be -path.

• Author
      Mike Kanakos 9 months ago

Interesting and good find!!!
      It's there in the original content; it must have been removed by accident somewhere along the way in the publishing process. I have corrected it. Thanks for taking the time to point it out so it can be fixed.

• Michael Pietroforte 9 months ago

That was my bad. Must have happened when I edited the text. However, I have no idea how because I just copy and pasted the code.

Users who have LIKED this comment:

2. Fabian Niesen 9 months ago

I had the same thoughts in 2014, that's the reason why I wrote my GPOBackups script and shared it at the Technet Gallary since this time. Meanwhile, including retention period, Eventlog entries, filtering for nonusable characters and HTML-Reports.

If you like to take look for some extensions: bit.ly/gpobackup

Users who have LIKED this comment:

3. Luc Fullenwarth 9 months ago

I never thought that having to deal with GUIDs could be an issue.
    That's probably because I never had to restore GPOs until now... 😉

Thanks for the post!

Users who have LIKED this comment:

• Author
      Mike Kanakos 9 months ago

Luc,

I did a small re-write of the script to fix a bug that prevented restores from happening correctly. The article is updated with the revamped code or you can get it here. However, You will need my corresponding Restore-GroupPolicy script to make the restores work properly.

Users who have LIKED this comment:

4. Jamie Cottrell 9 months ago

For me I could not get restores to work using this script. I updated the foreach loop to the following:

ForEach ($GPO in $GPOInfo) {

$BackupFolder = New-Item $UpdatedPath\$($GPO.Displayname) -ItemType directory
    #Assign temp variables for various parts of GPO data
    Write-Host "Backing up GPO named: " $GPO.Displayname
    Backup-GPO -Name $GPO.DisplayName -Domain $Domain -path $BackupFolder.FullName -Server $Server

} #End ForEach loop

Now this is wokring for getting the restore GPO to work correctly.

• Author
      Mike Kanakos 9 months ago

Jamie,

Sorry to hear you're having an issue. Glad you found a workaround but I am curious to see if you could post your original error. I'd like to know to see if it is something I need to correct in the code.

• Jamie Cottrell 9 months ago

Sure. So there where no errors with running the code as supplied. But I then went to test a restore of one of the GPO's. When I ran the Restore-GPO cmdlet I got the following error:

Restore-GPO -Name 'TEST' -Path 'C:\temp\2019-01-21\TEST\'

Restore-GPO : There were no GPO backups found at path “C:\temp\2019-01-21\TEST\”.
        Parameter name: Path
        At line:1 char:1
        + Restore-GPO -Name 'TEST' -Path 'C:\temp\2019-01-21\TEST\'
        + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Restore-GPO], ArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentException,Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Commands.RestoreGpoCommand

I also tried to to restore the GPO via the Group Policy Management MMC snapin and this came up with 'No Backups found' when pointing the backup location to the specified folder.

I think this has to do with the manifest.xml file. If you do a single backup you will see that the folder with the GUID is created as well as a manifest.xml file. In your code above you are only renaming the GUID folder name, but not doing anything with the manifest.xml file. So as the script loops through each GPO the manifest.xml file gets overwritten each time.

Based on the above it seems like the maifest.xml file is needed to process the restore. Thats why I've changed the loop. My version now creates the folder with the GPO name then just backs up the GPO into that folder. That keeps the organisation of having the GPO folder names and also keeps the manifest.xml and GUID folder in tact.

After making the change to the loop I can now run the Restore-GPO cmdlet that was getting the error and sucessfully restore the GPO.

• Author
          Mike Kanakos 9 months ago

Jamie,

I don't have a testlab at my disposal right now to generate the proper syntax. I'll do a test restore tomorrow and follow up.

• Author
          Mike Kanakos 9 months ago

Jamie,

After reading your comment, I went back to the lab and tested the restore function. Yes, you were correct, restores were not working as expected. The reason was that I did not retain the BackupID.

But I did a small re-write of the script and corrected the code so that restores will work as well as keeping the names of the GPOs added to the GPO backup folders. However, You will need my corresponding Restore-GroupPolicy script to make the restores work properly.

The restore script was fully tested and is available right now in my Github Repo . Also, I will be writing a follow-up article that explains how to properly do a restore from the backups created by this script using the accompanying restore script.

Lastly, I updated the article to reflect the changes in the code. Thank you for reaching out when you found a bug in my code!

5. Mallikarjun 9 months ago

I'm trying to execute the script but I'm getting the error..I have pasted the error  at the end of the script..

Can you address this issue Please..Many thanks.

My domain name :- ABC.com
    My server name :- DC1.ABC.com
    Path to save :- C:\Backups.

Script :-

$Server

begin {

#Get current GPO information
    import-module GroupPolicy
    $GPOInfo = Get-GPO -All -Domain ABC.COM -Server DC1.ABC.COM

#Create a date-based folder to save a backup of Group Policies to
    $Date = Get-Date -UFormat "2019-01-21"
    $UpdatedPath = "c:\backups\$date"

New-item $UpdatedPath -ItemType directory | Out-Null

Write-Host "Will back up GPOs to $UpdatedPath"
    } #End of begin block

process {

ForEach ($GPO in $GPOInfo) {

#Assign temp variables for various parts of GPO data
    Write-Host "Backing up GPO named: " $GPO.Displayname
    $BackupInfo = Backup-GPO -Name $GPO.DisplayName -Domain $Domain -path $UpdatedPath -Server $Server
    $GpoBackupID = $BackupInfo.ID.Guid
    $GpoGuid = $BackupInfo.GPOID.Guid
    $GpoName = $BackupInfo.DisplayName
    $CurrentFolderName = $UpdatedPath + "\" + "{"+ $GpoBackupID + "}"
    $NewFolderName = $UpdatedPath + "\" + $GPOName

#Rename the newly created GPO backup subfolder from its GPO ID to the GPO Displayname
    rename-item $CurrentFolderName -newname $NewFolderName

} #End ForEach loop

} #End of process block

Error message :-

Will back up GPOs to c:\backups\2019-01-21
    Backing up GPO named:  GPO3
    Backup-GPO : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Server'. The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that
    is not null or empty and then try the command again.
    At line:37 char:103
    +             $BackupInfo = Backup-GPO -Name $GPO.DisplayName -Domain $Domain -path $UpdatedPath -Server <<<<  $Serv
    er
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Backup-GPO], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Commands.BackupGpoCommand

Rename-Item : Cannot rename because item at 'c:\backups\2019-01-21\{}' does not exist.
    At line:45 char:24
    +             rename-item <<<<  $CurrentFolderName -newname $NewFolderName
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Rename-Item], PSInvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperation,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RenameItemCommand

Backing up GPO named:  GPO2
    is not null or empty and then try the command again.
    At line:37 char:103
    er

At line:45 char:24
    +             rename-item <<<<  $CurrentFolderName -newname $NewFolderName

Backing up GPO named:  Default Domain Policy
    is not null or empty and then try the command again.
    At line:37 char:103
    er

At line:45 char:24
    +             rename-item <<<<  $CurrentFolderName -newname $NewFolderName

Backing up GPO named:  GPO1
    is not null or empty and then try the command again.
    At line:37 char:103
    er

At line:45 char:24
    +             rename-item <<<<  $CurrentFolderName -newname $NewFolderName

Backing up GPO named:  Default Domain Controllers Policy
    is not null or empty and then try the command again.
    At line:37 char:103
    er

At line:45 char:24
    +             rename-item <<<<  $CurrentFolderName -newname $NewFolderName
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Author
      Mike Kanakos 9 months ago

It looks to be hanging on the Server parameter. However, I have re-written this script to fix a bug in the code. Please download a new copy of the code from the article or grab a copy from here.

Users who have LIKED this comment:

6. Mallikarjun 9 months ago

Hi Mike,

I'm looking for taking the GPO has backup with Group policy object name..

You wrote the 1st script and that's for taking the GPO for the backup..

I have used the same script and getting the error as mentioned above.. Can you address this issue.

Regards,
    Mallikarjun.

• Author
      Mike Kanakos 9 months ago

Mallikarjun,

I have tested this script extensively and I can confirm it works, so I suspect it is something with the way that you are entering the syntax. Please show the syntax you typed exactly as entered. for example, I would like to see something like this (according to what you wrote):

7. Mallikarjun 9 months ago

Hi Mike Kanakos ,

thanks for your response.. Please see the script mentioned below and let me know what modification required to execute this script without error.. This script will take backup of all the group policy object.

CmdletBinding(SupportsShouldProcess=$true)]

param (

[Parameter(Mandatory=$True,Position=0)]

[string]

$Path,

[Parameter()]

[string]

$Domain = (Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem).Domain,

[Parameter()]

[string]

$Server

begin {

#Get current GPO information

$GPOInfo = Get-GPO -All -Domain tenet.adlab.test -Server USW04DC420.tenet.adlab.test

#Create a date-based folder to save a backup of Group Policies to

$Date = Get-Date -UFormat "2019-01-22"

$UpdatedPath = "E:\GPbackups\$date"

New-item $UpdatedPath -ItemType directory | Out-Null

Write-Host "Will back up GPOs to $UpdatedPath"

} #End of begin block

process {

ForEach ($GPO in $GPOInfo) {

#Assign temp variables for various parts of GPO data

Write-Host "Backing up GPO named: " $GPO.Displayname

$GpoBackupID = $BackupInfo.ID.Guid

$GpoGuid = $BackupInfo.GPOID.Guid

$GpoName = $BackupInfo.DisplayName

$CurrentFolderName = $UpdatedPath + "\" + "{"+ $GpoBackupID + "}"

$NewFolderName = $UpdatedPath + "\" + $GPOName

rename-item $CurrentFolderName -newname $NewFolderName

} #End ForEach loop

} #End of process block

Regards,
    Mallikarjun.

8. Karel 6 months ago

Hi Mike,

Your script looks super promising.

I'm just not clear on where I should define the parameters.

Maybe you could make it a little more dummy proof and point out exactly where in the script the parameters should be defined. It would really help me if you told me on which line # I should put the domain, server, and destination path.
    Sorry for asking stupid questions.

Great work btw!

KR,

Kim

9. Author
    Mike Kanakos 6 months ago

Hi Kim,

I just want to make sure you and I are on the same page. This is not a flat script but a function. To run the function you need to load it into memory and then you can define parameters when you call the function.

After loading the fucntion, you can see the parameters by running:
    Get Help Backup-GPO

There are three parameters that you can use: Path, Domain and Server. The help file explains all these parameters in detail (lines 15 - 44).

After loading the function, you simply add the parameters when you type the function name, like so:

Backup-GroupPolicy -Path C:\Backups -Server DC1.ABC.com

Also, please be aware that you will need my corresponding Restore-GroupPolicy script to make the restores work properly.

10. William Batzle 4 months ago

Hi Mike,

Any chance you have a process on using this function in a scheduled task?

• William Batzle 3 months ago

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply back on this and hopefully you didn't get annoyed at my stupidly put together question. So what I meant to ask was are you going to put together an article on getting this function to work in a scheduled task? I figured it all out on my own on Server 2008 and 2016. The method that works in 2008 works on 2008 and 2016. However the method I got to work does not work on 2008. Would it be ok to post my directions on how to do it and reference this article?

Sincerely,

Will

11. Tom 3 months ago

Hi!

I had to modify your script to get working on my domain,

GPO names can have invalid characters that the filesystem can't use, so I had to insert the line

To allow for the names to be saved, albeit modified.

Thanks

12. Basavaraj R Navalgund 2 months ago

Hi Mike,

Thank you for this script.

It  is one which saves lots of time in manipulating the name of the GPO versus GPO ID.

Regards

Raj

13. Brent 1 month ago

Any suggestions on using your restore script to restore the backups to another domain?

• Author
      Mike Kanakos 1 month ago

Hi Brent,

Looking at my restore script. I realize I never created a parameter for a domain. Adding that parameter should do the trick because domain is a parameter on the original command. However, I have to say that I have never tested that scenario.

I'll post a new version of the script in my GitHub repo.

14. jerry 4 weeks ago

Dear Mike

Im trying to create a script to reset windows 10 workstations to the default GPO. Would you have any examples ? I would be pushing it out thru Intune.

Any advise would be appreciated.

15. Jerry Gomez 4 weeks ago

Hello Mike

I wanted to know if you had seen any scripting for resetting's Group Policy for windows 10 OS. We are looking to reset to factory status. We would push out thru Azure / Intune.  If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

J

16. Author
    Mike Kanakos 4 weeks ago

Hi Jerry,

There is a way to do what you are asking. There are a few things to consider. Let me detail them for you.

It sounds like you want to reset everything specifically on a Win 10 machine. Is that machine part of a domain? If so, then you need to stop applying domain group policies first. After that, you can reset the local group back to the defaults. See this link for details.

However, you probably had things changed according to domain GPO's that have tattooed the registry and need to be specifically reversed for them to be removed. You would need to do a careful eval of the domain GPO's FIRST and make sure you understand what is being changed and how it is applied. If you are confident that those changes can reversed, then you can follow the link I gave you.

But if the PC is domain joined, you can't reset local group policy because the domain GPO's will just come back down. It sounds like you want to move your policies to InTune instead of native AD. Keep in mind, about egress traffic. You might get a costly bill for deploying from Azure.

Another useful doc for this topic is here: Link

Hope that helps!

​​​​​​​

Users who have LIKED this comment:

17. jerry gomez 4 weeks ago

Hello Mike

Thanks for the response. We initially pushed out thru Intune some GPO's. Now we just want to reset to Windows 10 factory settings. I put together some code below? Do you think I can execute to reset all back to default, without a reboot? Afterwards we will request employee to reboot.

What do you think?

Jerry

#  Clear GPO Config   #
       #     by Jerry             #
      #    Last Updated     #
     #     09-18-2019      #
    #######################

if (-Not ([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal] [Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] 'Administrator')) {
        if ([int](Get-CimInstance -Class Win32_OperatingSystem | Select-Object -ExpandProperty BuildNumber) -ge 6000) {
            $CommandLine = "-File `"" + $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path + "`" " + $MyInvocation.UnboundArgument
            Start-Process -FilePath PowerShell.exe -Verb Runas -ArgumentList $CommandLine
        Exit
        }
    }

RD /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers"
    RD /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy"

18. Joseph 2 weeks ago

Hi this may seem silly, but I cannot see where to exactly add my path data or server if that is needed.

I saved the newest script from github, made a new drive E:\ with 40 GB of data.

The server this is running on is a DC so I want to backup the GPOs from it to this directory "E:\GPObackups\backups"

I'm not sure if the server can be blank or can be localhost but assuming the name is DC02 and that path above what changes or where exactly do I put these settings in the Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1 in order to get this to work and backup to that folder?

Once it works once I will schedule a task for each night.

Getting errors like this currently:

PS E:\GPObackups> E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1
    At E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1:11 char:25
    +     --------------------
    +                         ~
    Missing expression after unary operator '--'.
    At E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1:12 char:5
    +     CGPBackup2018-12-21Default Domain Policy
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unexpected token 'CGPBackup2018-12-21Default' in expression or statement.
    At E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1:58 char:1
    + [CmdletBinding(SupportsShouldProcess=$true)]
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unexpected attribute 'CmdletBinding'.
    At E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1:59 char:1
    + param (
    + ~~~~~
    Unexpected token 'param' in expression or statement.
    At E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1:61 char:13
    +     [string]
    +             ~
    Missing closing ')' in expression.
    At E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1:64 char:16
    +     [Parameter()]
    +                ~
    An expression was expected after '('.
    At E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1:1 char:29
    + function Backup-GroupPolicy {
    +                             ~
    Missing closing '}' in statement block or type definition.
    At E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1:71 char:5
    +     )
    +     ~
    Unexpected token ')' in expression or statement.
    At E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1:81 char:29
    +         $UpdatedPath = $path$date
    +                             ~~~~~
    Unexpected token '$date' in expression or statement.
    At E:\GPObackups\Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1:110 char:5
    +     } #end of process block
    +     ~
    Unexpected token '}' in expression or statement.
    Not all parse errors were reported.  Correct the reported errors and try again.
        + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MissingExpressionAfterOperator