- Midnight Commander remote connect via Shell link (copy files over SSH) and SFTP link using FISH and public key authentication - Mon, Jan 17 2022
- Root login via SSH and SFTP on EC2 instances running Linux - Wed, Jan 12 2022
- Poll: Will you deploy Windows 11 in 2022? - Mon, Jan 10 2022
In the past, defragmented disks were the major reason why computers became slow over time. Since Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 support scheduled defragmentation, this problem is no longer that serious. However, the fact that Microsoft offers a defragmentation API shows that room still exists for third-party tools.
- Much faster.
- Totally automatic, extremely easy to use.
- Optimized for daily use.
- Disk optimization, several strategies.
- Directories are placed together.
- Reclaims NTFS reserved areas after disk-full.
- Maintains free spaces for temporary files.
- Can defragment very full harddisks.
- Can defragment very large files.
- Can defragment individual directories and files.
- Can be run automatically with the Windows Scheduler.
- Can be used from the commandline.
- Can be used as a screen saver.
- Can be run from cdrom or memory stick.
- Script language, can be customized.
It is difficult to verify if MyDefrag is really faster than the Windows Diskfragementer because you need two equally fragmented disks. What I find most interesting about the tool is that it allows you to script defragmentation tasks. MyDefrag comes already with special scripts daily, weekly, and monthly defragmentation tasks. The daily defragmentation task is the fastest and has the least impact on the machine. The other tasks are slower but more thorough.
Other things you can do in scripts is to only defragment certain file types, sort files according to various criteria (size, last access, last change, etc.) and advanced tasks like moving files from the NTFS reserved area to normal disk space. Check out the complete list of MyDefrag script commands for more information.
The defragmentation tool also distinguishes between data and system disks and can defrag flash memory disks. MyDefrag's graphical user interface doesn't belong to the best I have seen, but, I guess, this won't bother the scripting guys. I tested MyDefrag v4.3.1 on Windows 7.
What is your favorite defragmentation tool?