NetWrix Event Log Manager Freeware Edition is a simple event log management tool that collects, consolidates, archives event logs and sends real-time alerts to administrators signalizing about specified events.
Submitted by Daniel Pershing
The Freeware Edition of NetWrix Event Log Manager is aimed to perform the following tasks:
- Consolidate all event log entries from an entire network into a central location.
- Compress and archive collected data for the subsequent convenient analysis, prevention of data loss and for audit purposes.
- Detect critical events and send corresponding email alerts to an administrator
A typical NetWrix Event Log Manager Freeware Edition data collection and reporting workflow is as follows:
- The administrator specifies the computers to be monitored.
- The administrator sets parameters for automated data collection, and defines types of events that must trigger alerts and must be written to the Audit Archive (local file storage).
- NetWrix Event Log Manager collects all new event log entries and archives them in the Audit Archive. These audit data can be viewed using the NetWrix Event Viewer tool.
- If an event that triggers an alert is detected, an email notification is sent to the event summary recipients.
- An event summary is emailed to the specified recipients every 24 hours.
The workflow is illustrated in the image below:
Data collection and reporting workflow schematics
NetWrix Event Log Manager collects events from computers using the specified filters and stores them in the Audit Archive.
It is fairly easy to configure the product as one can set all the required setting using a single dialogue window (see Figure 2 below).
NetWrix Event Log Manager configuration dialog
Using this dialog window one can configure monitored computers, real-time alerts, event summary recipients and other parameters.
When the product is configured, NetWrix Event Log Manager starts collecting events from computers according to the specified filters and stores them in the Audit Archive.
Events summary will be delivered daily at the time, specified in the Daily Events Summary delivery time setting.
After the product detects the required events, it will immediately send notifications (or real-time alerts) to the event summary recipients. The following figure illustrates an alert for the NetWrix Event Log Manager Agents’ event:
Example real-time alert
The Freeware Edition of NetWrix Event Log Manager supports up to 10 servers/DCs and 100 workstations. NetWrix also offers an Enterprise Edition that supports Syslog event collection, custom reports, unlimited number of servers, features long-term archiving storage, distributed data collection for highest performance, and integration in the NetWrix Enterprise Management Console.